For Tuesday, September 24, 2013
“L” Day Schedule
· Students – you’ll notice our new pattern this week with Advisory lessons occurring on Tues/Thurs. We’re doing this because of the adjustment to gain back instructional time by not going to Advisory on Early Release Wednesdays. Use the time to gain what the lessons are set up to teach you by participating fully in the discussions. Mondays and Fridays will remain set aside for study time/tutoring.
· BIG CONGRATS to the “Odd Fellow Scholars”. This group submitted a digital film into Knoxville Tennessee’s first Film Festival. The category was “TheThe first place prized included a plaque, certificate, one thousand dollar scholarship to Roane State, a tour of Lucas Film Studio and recognition. The members of the Odd Fellows Scholars are: Trevon Covington, Ayanna Troutman, Kimara Pruitt, Maya Harris, Dijoin Andrews and Stefanie Macedo. We are working on getting a link to their award winning video so you can see it.
· Applications are now available for the Governor’s School programs for summer 2014. Go to this website http://www.tn.gov/education/govschools/index.shtml for more information about all the different programs (ranging from Arts to Sciences to Engineering and Scientific Models). They are held across the state and financial aid is available to help with costs. Deadlines to apply are later this fall. See your Guidance Counselor with any questions.
· Lost in the STEM space Monday - a small black and white quilted-like over-the-shoulder purse. If found, please turn in to the office.
· UT College of Social Work will be providing classes on 10/12, 11/2, 11/16 and 12/7 that help teens with skills to make smart choices about sex and drugs. For attending the class they receive a $60 Walmart gift card. Interested students or parents should call 974-9217 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note: you MUST have a parent call or email prior to the first class in order to be able to participate.
· Join SGA and the STEM Academy in helping support a cure for breast cancer in our own backyard! Everyone is welcome (family, friends, students, teachers, parents, etc.). Join our school team for the Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure held on Saturday, October 26, 2013, in World's Fair Park. Sign up here to participate or daonate: http://knoxville.info-komen.org/site/TR/RacefortheCure/KNX_KnoxvilleAffiliate?team_id=269911&pg=team&fr_id=3625 Our team is the L&N STEM Academy Gryphons. Walk or run, it's sure to be fun!
Opportunities to be involved with your school:
· Girl Talk group will meet next Tuesday, Oct 1 at 8:45 in room 214.
· Gryphon Film Club is having meetings again. We are meeting on Thursday afternoons from 4:45 to 6:00 in room 214.
· Prom Committee will meet today, September 24, 8:45 in room 104.
· Gryphon Gaming Club, Fridays, from 8:45 – 9:15 in room D119. Emphasis is on video gaming, but all gamers are welcome!
Health Environmental Issues Organization (HEIO) meets Wednesday mornings from 8:45 – 9:20 in D116.
Teens for Christ meets Monday mornings at 9:00 in room D113. All are welcome.
GSA (Gay Straight Alliance) meet 8:45 – 9:15 on Thursday mornings in room 222. All are welcome.
Young Life meeting Thursdays at 8:43 in room D112.
College admissions/visits information:
Quote of the day: from an unknown Author:
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.
Practice L&N Habits every day: Collaboration, Critical thinking, Design, Innovation, Inquiry, & Professionalism
L&N STEM Academy – TN’s First Apple School of Distinction, 2012-13 TN Reward School