For Tuesday, September 3, 2013
“N” Day Schedule
· Students – heads up – make plans now for tomorrow, Wednesday, Sept 4 will be our first Early Release Wednesday of this year.
o That means classes are shortened by about 15 minutes each and we dismiss school at 3:30 so our faculty can participate in ongoing development activities to be the best they can be for you!
o You may not request or schedule appointments, meetings, or make-ups with teachers during this hour, but we will be coordinating peer tutoring with our NHS students and some UT graduate students. Watch announcements for opportunities.
o Buses will run at the regular time (4:30) but parents can pick you up at the regular pick up location at 3:30.
o If you drive, you may leave at 3:30 (without checking out) or you may walk to catch the KAT buses.
o If you leave campus for any reason, you may not come back on campus to ride a school bus at 4:30.
o All students remaining on campus will report to the Commons Area for quiet study time.
· Lost – a light blue, 6th generation iPod Nano. Please turn in to the office if found, no questions asked, reward is being offered.
· Beginning this week – the bookstore will be open on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays from 8:45 – 9:15 and at lunch. New items are coming in all the time, be sure to stop by and see what’s new! Get your Gryphon gear!
· "Imagine life without breast cancer." Walk or run with us to help support a cure! Everyone is welcome (family, friends, students, teachers, parents, siblings, etc.). Join our school team NOW for the Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure held on October 26, 2013, in World's Fair Park. Early Bird pricing ends TODAY at noon. Sign up here: http://www.komenknoxville.org/komen-race-for-the-cure/ Our team is the L&N STEM Academy Gryphons, and our team type is School.
· Students: Love to read? Consider joining our new school book club! We're having an interest meeting on Wednesday, September 11, in the Media Center, right after early dismissal (3:30 pm). Feel free to bring suggestions for books to read this school year.
· 9th-11th graders may now sign up for the PSAT. Information about the PSAT can be found on the Guidance page of the website. Registration is $14.00 and can be turned in to Mrs. Johnson in the Guidance office. If payment is an issue for you, please check with your counselor to request a fee waiver voucher. The deadline for registration is September 18th at 4:00 pm. Payment can be made with check or EXACT cash and is NON-REFUNDABLE. The PSAT will be administered at STEM the morning of October 16th (the day before Fall Break).
Opportunities to be involved with your school:
· Organizational meeting for the new Health and Environmental Safety Organization (HESO) club, this Friday, 9/6, from 8:45 – 9:20 in room D120. For more info, email S018109@student.knoxschools.org.
· Teens for Christ meets Monday mornings at 9:00 in room D113. All are welcome.
· GSA (Gay Straight Alliance) meet 8:45 – 9:15 on Thursday mornings in room 222. All are welcome.
· Young Life will be back on campus beginning the week of Labor Day. Watch for morning meeting times and location.
College admissions/visits information:
http://mitadmissions.org/visit/travel - Sept 11 at Downtown Marriott
· Attention Seniors: We will be hosting a Senior Information Night on Thursday, September 12th at 6:30 pm in the STEM classroom of the Depot. Please join us for important information about college applications, requesting transcripts, and senior year timeline. Also joining us will be Elizabeth Raymond from the TN Student Assistance Corporation to talk about financial aid and scholarships. Please be sure to bring your parents!
Quote of the day: from Nelson Mandela:
It always seems impossible until it’s done.
Practice L&N Habits every day: Collaboration, Critical thinking, Design, Innovation, Inquiry, & Professionalism
L&N STEM Academy – TN’s First Apple School of Distinction, 2012-13 TN Reward School