For Monday, September 30, 2013
“N” Day Schedule
· The swimming and diving team will start practice Monday morning. Those who want to join the team and have not joined the fusion page and attended the planning meeting, need to do that and talk to Dr. Knox.
· There will be an informational meeting on Monday, September 30th during Advisory in the War Room for all 10th and 11th graders interested in applying to Governor's School this year. We will take your Advisory attendance at the meeting. Please see your counselor if you cannot attend but want further information. Want to know more about Governor’s school? See the bullet below this one.
· Applications are now available for the Governor’s School programs for summer 2014. Go to this website http://www.tn.gov/education/govschools/index.shtml for more information about all the different programs (ranging from Arts to Sciences to Engineering and Scientific Models). They are held across the state and financial aid is available to help with costs. Deadlines to apply are later this fall. See your Guidance Counselor with any questions.
· Picture remakes for the yearbook are Tuesday, Oct 1. Pick up order forms from the front office desk. You do not have to order, but you can if you want (payment is due with the order), and you will need to bring the order envelope with you to have your picture made with your name and Advisory teacher on it to be properly identified in the Yearbook (whether you order or not).
· Want to show your game skills? We’ll be hosting a video game tournament with NCAA13 on an Xbox, Friday, Oct 11, in our Commons Area starting at 5:30 p.m. Cost will be $8 to play (includes pizza dinner, soda, and snack) or $4 to come to watch (includes same food). Students will be able to purchase wristbands to participate beginning Oct 7 in the bookstore. Proceeds will go towards schoolwide event costs. Questions? Email S727438@student.knoxschools.org
· UT College of Social Work will be providing classes on 10/12, 11/2, 11/16 and 12/7 that help teens with skills to make smart choices about sex and drugs. For attending the class they receive a $60 Walmart gift card. Interested students or parents should call 974-9217 or email email@example.com. Please note: you MUST have a parent call or email prior to the first class in order to be able to participate.
· Join SGA and the STEM Academy in helping support a cure for breast cancer in our own backyard! Everyone is welcome (family, friends, students, teachers, parents, etc.). Join our school team for the Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure held on Saturday, October 26, 2013, in World's Fair Park. Sign up here to participate or daonate: http://knoxville.info-komen.org/site/TR/RacefortheCure/KNX_KnoxvilleAffiliate?team_id=269911&pg=team&fr_id=3625 Our team is the L&N STEM Academy Gryphons. Walk or run, it's sure to be fun!
· The Reflections program is an arts enrichment contest sponsored by the National PTA. Last year the L&N STEM Academy had 8 students place at the county and 6 at the state level and even had a few entries forwarded to the national level. This year’s Reflection's theme is “Believe, Dream, Inspire”. Tennessee PTA sponsors two other enrichment programs. This year’s themes are “Red White and Blue for You” for the Citizenship Essay contest and “Don’t be Safety Blinded, Be Safety Minded” for the Safety Multi-media contests. Rules and guidelines for all three contests may be found in the PTSA section of the school website. The entry forms for the contests will be posted in the same section in October. The deadline for all PTA student contest entries is Monday, November 4 at 9:30 am. All entries should be turned in to the front office or to Mrs. Jorgenson. All entries should have a completed entry form. If you have any questions, please contact Nina Smith, L&N STEM Academy PTSA Contests Chair, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 947-8993.
· Last week we congratulated several of our students who won First Place in the Knoxville Film Festival high school division for a short documentary called “Cemetery of Life.” Here’s a link so you can see their entry: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybo-GvrGuLs. Or, you can go to YouTube and search for “Knoxville Film Festival Cemetery of Life”. Congrats again to our winning film producers!
Opportunities to be involved with your school:
· Girl Talk group will meet next Tuesday, Oct 1 at 8:45 in room 214.
· Gryphon Film Club is having meetings again. We are meeting on Thursday afternoons from 4:45 to 6:00 in room 214.
· Gryphon Gaming Club, Fridays, from 8:45 – 9:15 in room D119. Emphasis is on video gaming, but all gamers are welcome!
Health Environmental Issues Organization (HEIO) meets Wednesday mornings from 8:45 – 9:20 in D116.
Teens for Christ meets Monday mornings at 9:00 in room D113. All are welcome.
GSA (Gay Straight Alliance) meet 8:45 – 9:15 on Thursday mornings in room 222. All are welcome.
Young Life meeting Thursdays at 8:43 in room D112.
College admissions/visits information:
· September 30th-October 4th is Tennessee's College App Week. This is a great time to begin thinking about college no matter what grade you're in! There will be a variety of opportunities for students this week including attending Knox County's college fair (juniors and seniors), Advisory lessons geared towards thinking about college options and admissions, senior college workshops, college reps coming to STEM to meet with students, and college application sessions for seniors. There will also be a college fair open to ALL students and their families at Bearden High School on Tuesday, October 1st from 6:30-8:30 pm. This fair will host reps from over 100 colleges and universities from around the country.
Quote of the day: from Herm Albright:
A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.
Practice L&N Habits every day: Collaboration, Critical thinking, Design, Innovation, Inquiry, & Professionalism
L&N STEM Academy – TN’s First Apple School of Distinction, 2012-13 TN Reward School