For Friday, September 12, 2014
“L” Day Classes
Early Release Schedule
· At 9:30 you will report to Advisory then walk over to the Amphitheater for our Medal of Honor program. Dress appropriately for the walk and maybe damp seats. Your cooperation and best behavior is expected for the program.
· Remember today is Early Release. School will be dismissed at 2:30. Parents SHOULD be able to pick you up in the regular place. Buses will run at 4:30. If you stay on campus, you will go to the Commons. You may NOT leave our grounds and come back on to catch a bus home.
· If you plan on playing Flag Football this year, it is REQUIRED to email email@example.com. The teams cannot be made until more people email stating that you are participating and your grade level. The league starts as soon as everyone signs up, so that date is still undecided.
· Our students did well at the Tennessee Valley Fair Student Art Show. Be sure to go by the Jacobs building to see their work at the fair! Congratulations to Angel Quay, who got 1st Place in the new Congressional Medal of Honor competition (high school photography), and also to Ben Hall (Third Place, painting) and Shelby Hall (Honorable Mention, computer art)!
· Go follow @LNSTEMSGA on twitter for updates on school events (like Spirit Week), dances, and latest SGA news!
· Lost: a blue string bag, the strings are black, and it says National Guard on it and it has running clothes and shoes in it. If found, please turn in to office.
· Congrats to our boys’ golf team – District Champions! Individually Chris Kleinschmidt was 1st place overall, Jacob Samar was 3rd, and Abbey Morgan was 5th in girls overall. Way to go Coach Waxmonsky and Golfing Gryphons!
· Congratulations to Samoine Moss, Brett Baumann, Ashlee Burris, Josh Witt, Erykah Carter, William Bradley, Kayla Hammer – these broadcasting students have been selected to participate in PBS’s Newshour Student Reporting Lab hosted by East TN PBS. Way to go Gryphons!
· Have you registered for the PSAT yet? Deadline is next week!
· Did you know we have a Literary Magazine in Advanced Journalism? We plan for student submissions to be featured regularly in our magazine. In order for this to happen, students are invited to submit their work to firstname.lastname@example.org
· College and Career Fair on Sept. 30th at Chilhowee Park for Juniors and Seniors who return their permission forms into their STEM teacher by September 16th. Remember to dress to impress and have your college questions ready!
· Junior parent night is Sept 25 from 5:30 – 6:30. Come hear about deadlines and responsibilities in this important year!
· Order your class t-shirt today! Proceeds will support Prom. There is a shirt available for each grade. They are white shirts with colored "Class of 20XX" (your graduation year) on the back and a miniature gryphon on the front. The Freshman dates are red, Sophomores are blue, Juniors are green, and Seniors are yellow. The shirts are $15 dollars. They are on sale during all lunch periods and in the mornings. Checks and cash are accepted as payment. Buy one while you still can! HURRY!!! WE STOP SELLING SEPT. 30th!
· On September 20th there will be a chiari awareness walk at Tyson Park. Chiari is a degenerative neurological disorder. For more information there is a flyer here: http://www.conquerchiari.org/ccwaa/ccwaa14%20flyers/knoxville.flyer.pdf. For registration you can go to https://www.conquerchiari.org/ccwaa14/ccwaa_register.asp and sign up under the team name The Brain STEMs. It would be best if everyone who wants to come signs up for it previously. On September 7th at 9:00 and 10:00 pm Niagara Falls will turn purple for chiari malformation awareness for fifteen minutes at a time. http://www.niagaraparks.com/niagara-falls-attractions/niagara-falls-illumination.html
· TBH (Talkin' Bout Health) Youth Health Fest. Knox County middle and & high school students: Keepin' it 100 about healthy lifestyle decisions. Experience the "Maze" Service Learning Hours. Free event. Free lunch. Music by DJ Sir Marlon Brooks. Saturday, September 27, 9:30 a.m. -2:00 p.m. at Bearden High School, 8352 Kingston Pike. Registration limited to first 200. Must register by Sept. 12. Forms in front office or online at http://www.knoxcounty.org/health/tenndercare_info.php
Any questions email email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, or email@example.com OR call 865-215-5087
· You don’t have to douse yourself in ice! The Walk to Defeat ALS is September 13, starting at 9 am. One of our students is organizing a team in honor of her grandmother who is fighting ALS. All students and staff are invited to participate at the walk and to help support the ALS Association, which has done so much for all people with ALS. The link for the sign-up is <http://webtn.alsa.org/goto/teamflash>. If anyone has any questions, the student organizer’s contact info is on that website.
From the Guidance Office:
· College recruiter visits:
o Sunday 9/14 7:30 pm at Marriott, Hill Ave: Harvard, Stanford, Duke, Georgetown, Penn
o Tuesday 9/16 12:15 in Guidance: Union College, Schenectady NY (a liberal arts college with interdisciplinary studies where, like at STEM, you can think outside the box!) go here instead of Genius Hour
· The September edition of the College and Scholarship bulletin is now available on the L&N STEM Academy website under the School Counseling tab. Click on "College and Career" and you will find it!
· PSAT Registration is now open! The PSAT is an optional test open to any interested 9th-11th grade student. Students are able to take this test all three years if they desire. Juniors wishing to participate in the National Merit Scholarship Qualifying Competition must take the PSAT this year in order to be considered for eligibility. Benefits of taking the PSAT can be found through the following links which are also posted under 'Testing Info' on the 'College and Career' page:
Students can find the PSAT registration form on the 'College and Career' page of our website (under the School Counseling tab on main page). The registration form and $14 fee may be submitted to Mrs. Johnson in the Guidance office. Registration deadline is September 19th!
Quote of the day from then Bob Dylan:
A hero is someone who understands the responsibility that comes with his freedom.
Practice L&N Habits every day: Collaboration, Critical thinking, Design, Innovation, Inquiry, & Professionalism
L&N STEM Academy – TN’s First Apple School of Distinction, 2-time TN Reward School for Performance (2012 – 2014)