For Monday, September 29, 2014
“L” Day Classes
· Students – this week is “thank a teacher” week across Knox County Schools. Every student is challenged to do something every day to let a teacher on our staff know what they mean to you – and say “thank you!”
· Juniors and Seniors going to the College Fair tomorrow, attached is a list of colleges and organizations that will be there. Please use it to start identifying the ones you’ll look for.
CODE COMPETITION MEETING: Monday or Tuesday morning, 9/29 & 9/30, 9:00 AM Depot STEM space (only need to attend one of the meetings). This fall, there is a coding competition amongst East Tennessee high schools, to design a real-world application and then demonstrate it in mid-November to a panel of software experts. This would be a GeniusHour and\or after school activity, can be a team of 8 - 10 students. There are some serious prizes for the winning school AND for winning team members. (See webpage http://www.codeTN.org for details). Come to one of the organizational meetings Monday or Tuesday to hear more about it, and to GET STARTED!!! Prior coding experience would help, but is not mandatory. If there is enough interest, we can field two (or even three) teams. See Mr. Foy if you have any questions, and he hopes to see you at either of the two organizational meetings!!!
· The eLemeNtal Literary Magazine have completed an interview with James Brestcher regarding his recent documentary and contest success. Access the article and our e-publication here: http://www.lntole.com/featured-student.html Want to be featured or included in the next issue? Students are invited to submit their work to email@example.com
· Please take a moment to help a D3 group in empathizing for their chosen school improvement project. Go to https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/FQVMLL2 for a quick survey. Keep in mind all suggestions offered will be considered, completing the survey is not a guarantee anything asked about will be changed. All suggestions must meet cafeterias’ very strict (and far reaching) federal guidelines.
· Every summer has it's story... and we want to hear yours! Please send in your fun filled summer photos and what you did to firstname.lastname@example.org for a chance to be in the Yearbook! Also, if you worked or volunteered over the summer, please email email@example.com a description of what you did and some awesome photos.
· Order your class t-shirt today – tomorrow 9/30 is last day to order! Proceeds will support Prom. There is a shirt available for each grade. They are white shirts with colored "Class of 20XX" (your graduation year) on the back and a miniature gryphon on the front. The Freshman dates are red, Sophomores are blue, Juniors are green, and Seniors are yellow. The shirts are $15 dollars. They are on sale during all lunch periods and in the mornings. Checks and cash are accepted as payment.
Community/service happenings and opportunities:
· Volunteers are being sought for next spring’s Llama Races to be held again in World’s Fair Park. Many positions are available and they are seeking volunteers. Call 865-690-3323, or email firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com
From the Guidance Office:
· College recruiter visits (please sign up/register with Ms. Johnson in the guidance office, firstname.lastname@example.org, BEFORE the visit date)
o Monday, 9/29, 9:00 a.m. Virginia Tech, Blacksburg, VA
o Monday, 9/29, 9:00 a.m., Belmont University, Nashville
o Monday, 9/29, 9:00 a.m., Hendrix College, Hendrix, AR
o Wednesday, 10/1, 12:15 p.m., Centre College, Danville, KY
o Thursday, 10/2, 9:00 a.m., TN State University, Nashville
Quote of the day from Nelson Mandela
There is no passion to be found playing small – in settling for a life that is less than one you are capable of living.
Practice L&N Habits every day: Collaboration, Critical thinking, Design, Innovation, Inquiry, & Professionalism
L&N STEM Academy – TN’s First Apple School of Distinction, 2-time TN Reward School for Performance (2012 – 2014)