For Monday, September 15, 2014
“L” Day Classes
· Are you tired of being a plain Gryphon? Do you want L&N School apparel, but don't know where to find it? Are you trying to figure out why everyone else is representing the Gryphon logo but you? No worries! The L&N Bookstore has got you covered! We offer great quality merchandise for the best value prices in town! Our items are EXCLUSIVELY sold right here in our school! Come visit us during breakfast, genius hour, early release, and special events on every day of school! Also, be sure to check out our on sale/blowout items that includes: iPhone 4/4S Cases, Flip-Flops, Stadium Cushions, and Gryphon Necklaces!! Let's all be Swagalicious Gryphons by representing our school!
· Special for FRESHMEN: If you drop by the bookstore and show your school I.D., you'll be entered in a sweepstake for a special surprise! Trust me, you don't want to miss out on this!
· Good luck to our Golfing Gryphons who are competing in the Regional tournament Monday after winning District last week!
· We had winners in this weekend’s Knoxville Film Festival – congratulations to Gregory Croisdale, 9th grade, who’s entry "Back to the Farm" won 2nd Place entered in Middle school competition (submissions were made last spring) and Kelty Oringderff, 10th grade who’s film "Snow Whitey" won "Best Film" First Place High School competition!
· Reminder to all sophomores – the PLAN (pre-ACT) test will be given during 1st period on Wednesday. Please bring a calculator (you cannot use your iPad app for testing) and #2 pencils – NOT mechanical.
· If you plan on playing Flag Football this year, it is REQUIRED to email firstname.lastname@example.org. The teams cannot be made until more people email stating that you are participating and your grade level. The league starts as soon as everyone signs up, so that date is still undecided.
· Go follow @LNSTEMSGA on twitter for updates on school events (like Spirit Week), dances, and latest SGA news!
· Lost: a blue string bag, the strings are black, and it says National Guard on it and it has running clothes and shoes in it. If found, please turn in to office.
· Also looking for a lost iPad2 block and charger cord. Please turn in to office if found.
· Have you registered for the PSAT yet? Deadline is this week!
· Did you know we have a Literary Magazine in Advanced Journalism? We plan for student submissions to be featured regularly in our magazine. In order for this to happen, students are invited to submit their work to email@example.com
· College and Career Fair on Sept. 30th at Chilhowee Park for Juniors and Seniors who return their permission forms into their STEM teacher by tomorrow, September 16th. Remember to dress to impress and have your college questions ready!
· Junior parent night is Sept 25 from 5:30 – 6:30. Come hear about deadlines and responsibilities in this important year!
· Order your class t-shirt today! Proceeds will support Prom. There is a shirt available for each grade. They are white shirts with colored "Class of 20XX" (your graduation year) on the back and a miniature gryphon on the front. The Freshman dates are red, Sophomores are blue, Juniors are green, and Seniors are yellow. The shirts are $15 dollars. They are on sale during all lunch periods and in the mornings. Checks and cash are accepted as payment. Buy one while you still can! HURRY!!! WE STOP SELLING SEPT. 30th!
· On September 20th there will be a chiari awareness walk at Tyson Park. Chiari is a degenerative neurological disorder. For more information there is a flyer here: http://www.conquerchiari.org/ccwaa/ccwaa14%20flyers/knoxville.flyer.pdf. For registration you can go to https://www.conquerchiari.org/ccwaa14/ccwaa_register.asp and sign up under the team name The Brain STEMs. It would be best if everyone who wants to come signs up for it previously. On September 7th at 9:00 and 10:00 pm Niagara Falls will turn purple for chiari malformation awareness for fifteen minutes at a time. http://www.niagaraparks.com/niagara-falls-attractions/niagara-falls-illumination.html
· TBH (Talkin' Bout Health) Youth Health Fest. Knox County middle and & high school students: Keepin' it 100 about healthy lifestyle decisions. Experience the "Maze" Service Learning Hours. Free event. Free lunch. Music by DJ Sir Marlon Brooks. Saturday, September 27, 9:30 a.m. -2:00 p.m. at Bearden High School, 8352 Kingston Pike. Registration limited to first 200. Must register by Sept. 12. Forms in front office or online at http://www.knoxcounty.org/health/tenndercare_info.php
Any questions email firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, or firstname.lastname@example.org OR call 865-215-5087
From the Guidance Office:
· College recruiter visits:
o Tuesday 9/16 12:15 in Guidance: Union College, Schenectady NY (a liberal arts college with interdisciplinary studies where, like at STEM, you can think outside the box!) go here instead of Genius Hour
· The September edition of the College and Scholarship bulletin is now available on the L&N STEM Academy website under the School Counseling tab. Click on "College and Career" and you will find it!
· PSAT Registration is now open! The PSAT is an optional test open to any interested 9th-11th grade student. Students are able to take this test all three years if they desire. Juniors wishing to participate in the National Merit Scholarship Qualifying Competition must take the PSAT this year in order to be considered for eligibility. Benefits of taking the PSAT can be found through the following links which are also posted under 'Testing Info' on the 'College and Career' page:
Students can find the PSAT registration form on the 'College and Career' page of our website (under the School Counseling tab on main page). The registration form and $14 fee may be submitted to Mrs. Johnson in the Guidance office. Registration deadline is September 19th!
Quote of the day from Anonymous:
Don’t worry about those who talk behind your back. They’re behind you for a reason!
Practice L&N Habits every day: Collaboration, Critical thinking, Design, Innovation, Inquiry, & Professionalism
L&N STEM Academy – TN’s First Apple School of Distinction, 2-time TN Reward School for Performance (2012 – 2014)