For Friday, September 26, 2014
“L” Day Classes
EARLY RELEASE Schedule
· CODE COMPETITION MEETING: Monday or Tuesday morning, 9/29 & 9/30, 9:00 AM Depot STEM space (only need to attend one of the meetings). This fall, there is a coding competition amongst East Tennessee high schools, to design a real-world application and then demonstrate it in mid-November to a panel of software experts. This would be a GeniusHour and\or after school activity, can be a team of 8 - 10 students. There are some serious prizes for the winning school AND for winning team members. (See webpage http://www.codeTN.org for details). Come to one of the organizational meetings Monday or Tuesday to hear more about it, and to GET STARTED!!! Prior coding experience would help, but is not mandatory. If there is enough interest, we can field two (or even three) teams. See Mr. Foy if you have any questions, and he hopes to see you at either of the two organizational meetings!!!
· The eLemeNtal Literary Magazine have completed an interview with James Brestcher regarding his recent documentary and contest success. Access the article and our e-publication here: http://www.lntole.com/featured-student.html Want to be featured or included in the next issue? Students are invited to submit their work to firstname.lastname@example.org
· Please take a moment to help a D3 group in empathizing for their chosen school improvement project. Go to https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/FQVMLL2 for a quick survey. Keep in mind all suggestions offered will be considered, completing the survey is not a guarantee anything asked about will be changed. All suggestions must meet cafeterias’ very strict (and far reaching) federal guidelines.
· Every summer has it's story... and we want to hear yours! Please send in your fun filled summer photos and what you did to email@example.com for a chance to be in the Yearbook! Also, if you worked or volunteered over the summer, please email firstname.lastname@example.org a description of what you did and some awesome photos.
· Ever thought of traveling the world? Here is your chance! Mr. Webb and Mr. Mangone are planning a trip to Italy for spring break 2016. The major destinations for this trip will be Rome and Florence. Come see Roman ruins and Renaissance masterpieces on this exciting journey. Please fill out the Google Form below if you are interested. An interest meeting will be held on Thursday, September 25 in the Commons at 6:30 for students and parents wanting to go. We hope to see you there! http://bit.ly/1uE9e3B
· Order your class t-shirt today! Proceeds will support Prom. There is a shirt available for each grade. They are white shirts with colored "Class of 20XX" (your graduation year) on the back and a miniature gryphon on the front. The Freshman dates are red, Sophomores are blue, Juniors are green, and Seniors are yellow. The shirts are $15 dollars. They are on sale during all lunch periods and in the mornings. Checks and cash are accepted as payment. Buy one while you still can! HURRY!!! WE STOP SELLING next Tuesday, SEPT. 30th!
Community/service happenings and opportunities:
· Volunteers are being sought for next spring’s Llama Races to be held again in World’s Fair Park. Many positions are available and they are seeking volunteers. Call 865-690-3323, or email email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org
From the Guidance Office:
· College recruiter visits (please sign up/register with Ms. Johnson in the guidance office, email@example.com, BEFORE the visit date)
o Monday, 9/29, 9:00 a.m. Virginia Tech, Blacksburg, VA
o Monday, 9/29, 9:00 a.m., Belmont University, Nashville
o Monday, 9/29, 9:00 a.m., Hendrix College, Hendrix, AR
o Wednesday, 10/1, 12:15 p.m., Centre College, Danville, KY
o Thursday, 10/2, 9:00 a.m., TN State University, Nashville
Quote of the day from Coach Lou Holtz
It’s not the load that breaks you down, it’s the way you carry it.
Practice L&N Habits every day: Collaboration, Critical thinking, Design, Innovation, Inquiry, & Professionalism
L&N STEM Academy – TN’s First Apple School of Distinction, 2-time TN Reward School for Performance (2012 – 2014)