For Monday, September 19, 2014
“L” Day Classes
· Students – reminder that the privilege of eating where you want on campus has a price. You must clean up after yourselves. We have found some food trays and milk cartons particularly around the mezzanine steps area after lunch. Do NOT cost the student body the privilege of eating outside the Commons. PROPERLY DISPOSE of your trash.
· We know that school and life can be stressful. One of our support teachers recommends a free app called “A Friend Asks”, available in both Apple and Android versions. It is a student app designed to provide resources to help a friend who may be struggling with thoughts of suicide. Remember we have counselors and any teacher can help connect you to help if you feel you need it. Be well!
· A reminder to all students that you have only 10 parent/guardian notes that can be accepted per year. Doesn’t matter if it is for dismissal or a whole day absence. If you use these notes to leave early you will not have it available to excuse an absence later this year. We have some students who already have excessive school tardies and dismissals. If you’re checking out for a medical appointment you need to have a note from the doctor’s office (like the appointment reminder card).
· Service Hours: Knoxville Museum of Art still needs 3 students to help set up for "Street Fair" event on Saturday, Sept 20 (7am to 10am) at the Museum. See or email Mr. Powell email@example.com
· There will be an informational meeting about the prestigious Governor's School on Wed., Sept. 24th from 9-9:25 a.mm in the STEM space. Governor's School is a highly selective summer program for top 10th and 11th grade students. At the informational session, you will hear about the 12 different schools available, how to apply, and application deadlines. Come as soon as you get on campus if your ride or bus arrives after 9:00, or you can email Mrs. Morrell (firstname.lastname@example.org) for more information. Here’s the website for even more info: http://www.tennessee.gov/education/instruction/governors_schools.shtml
· We’re starting a SECME group! SECME stands for SouthEastern Consortium of Minorities in Engineering. Remember, “minorities” can be race, gender (females in engineering), or even ethnicity.
o WHO: Everyone is invited!
o WHAT: Fun and interesting programs, activities, and mentors to prepare you for college admission and teach about careers in science, technology, engineering, and mathematics. There will be scholarships, internships, competitions and networking to pave your way through college to high-paying STEM careers. We will also be connected with a network of alumni, industry and university partners all committed to your success.
o WHEN: September 23rd, 9:00 – 9:25 or as soon as you arrive on campus
o WHERE: Room 104 (computer lab off the Commons)
· Come by and check in the office for Lost and Found items that are electronics, jewelry, wallets and other non-clothing items.
· Ever thought of traveling the world? Here is your chance! Mr. Webb and Mr. Mangone are planning a trip to Italy for spring break 2016. The major destinations for this trip will be Rome and Florence. Come see Roman ruins and Renaissance masterpieces on this exciting journey. Please fill out the Google Form below if you are interested. An interest meeting will be held on Thursday, September 25 in the Commons at 6:30 for students and parents wanting to go. We hope to see you there! http://bit.ly/1uE9e3B
· Are you tired of being a plain Gryphon? Do you want L&N School apparel, but don't know where to find it? Are you trying to figure out why everyone else is representing the Gryphon logo but you? No worries! The L&N Bookstore has got you covered! We offer great quality merchandise for the best value prices in town! Our items are EXCLUSIVELY sold right here in our school! Come visit us during breakfast, genius hour, early release, and special events on every day of school! Also, be sure to check out our on sale/blowout items that includes: iPhone 4/4S Cases, Flip-Flops, Stadium Cushions, and Gryphon Necklaces!! Let's all be Swagalicious Gryphons by representing our school!
· Special for FRESHMEN: If you drop by the bookstore and show your school I.D., you'll be entered in a sweepstake for a special surprise! Trust me, you don't want to miss out on this!
· Go follow @LNSTEMSGA on twitter for updates on school events (like Spirit Week), dances, and latest SGA news!
· Did you know we have a Literary Magazine in Advanced Journalism? We plan for student submissions to be featured regularly in our magazine. In order for this to happen, students are invited to submit their work to email@example.com
· Junior parent night is Sept 25 from 5:30 – 6:30. Come hear about deadlines and responsibilities in this important year!
· Order your class t-shirt today! Proceeds will support Prom. There is a shirt available for each grade. They are white shirts with colored "Class of 20XX" (your graduation year) on the back and a miniature gryphon on the front. The Freshman dates are red, Sophomores are blue, Juniors are green, and Seniors are yellow. The shirts are $15 dollars. They are on sale during all lunch periods and in the mornings. Checks and cash are accepted as payment. Buy one while you still can! HURRY!!! WE STOP SELLING SEPT. 30th!
From the Guidance Office:
· A TN Promise representative will be coming to campus on September 22nd beginning 2nd lunch Genius Hour to provide a brief presentation regarding the TN Promise and assist seniors with individual registration. Please be sure to eat first lunch and meet me in the media center once you have finished. You will need your social security number to complete the application!
· Guidance will be hosting a College Essay Writing Workshop for juniors and seniors on September 24th beginning 1st lunch Genius Hour. You need to be there from the beginning to participate . Learn what colleges are looking for in an essay and how to make yourself more compelling to competitive institutions.
· The September edition of the College and Scholarship bulletin is now available on the L&N STEM Academy website under the School Counseling tab. Click on "College and Career" and you will find it!
· PSAT Registration is due today! The PSAT is an optional test open to any interested 9th-11th grade student. Students are able to take this test all three years if they desire. Students can find the PSAT registration form on the 'College and Career' page of our website (under the School Counseling tab on main page). The registration form and $14 fee may be submitted to Mrs. Johnson in the Guidance office.
Quote of the day from Jimmy Dean
I can’t change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination.
Practice L&N Habits every day: Collaboration, Critical thinking, Design, Innovation, Inquiry, & Professionalism
L&N STEM Academy – TN’s First Apple School of Distinction, 2-time TN Reward School for Performance (2012 – 2014)