For Tuesday, September 16, 2014
“N” Day Classes
· Reminder to all sophomores – the PLAN (pre-ACT) test will be given during 1st period on Wednesday. Please bring a calculator (you cannot use your iPad app for testing) and #2 pencils – NOT mechanical. All other students report to 1st period – you will receive a separate schedule email that shows where.
· Boys golf team is the regional runner up! Nick Barnard qualified for state and a three way playoff between 3 STEM golfers for the last spot at state was filled by Chris Kleinschmidt. Congrats men!
· Congrats to the following students who were part of our 2nd and 3rd place in the state teams for Cyberpatriot last spring: Ben Kaman, Isaiah Howell, Jared Scroggins, Owen Sanders, Brandon Haught, Todd Allen, Ethan Ritch, Ben Abbott, Joshua Byers, Will Eubanks, Jett Hackworth, and Logan King. Today the Air Force Association President for our region of the US will be visiting to present them with their awards in the Commons at the beginning of 3rd period.
· Ever thought of traveling the world? Here is your chance! Mr. Webb and Mr. Mangone are planning a trip to Italy for spring break 2016. The major destinations for this trip will be Rome and Florence. Come see Roman ruins and Renaissance masterpieces on this exciting journey. Please fill out the Google Form below if you are interested. An interest meeting will be held on Thursday, September 25 in the Commons at 6:30 for students and parents wanting to go. We hope to see you there! http://bit.ly/1uE9e3B
· Are you tired of being a plain Gryphon? Do you want L&N School apparel, but don't know where to find it? Are you trying to figure out why everyone else is representing the Gryphon logo but you? No worries! The L&N Bookstore has got you covered! We offer great quality merchandise for the best value prices in town! Our items are EXCLUSIVELY sold right here in our school! Come visit us during breakfast, genius hour, early release, and special events on every day of school! Also, be sure to check out our on sale/blowout items that includes: iPhone 4/4S Cases, Flip-Flops, Stadium Cushions, and Gryphon Necklaces!! Let's all be Swagalicious Gryphons by representing our school!
· Special for FRESHMEN: If you drop by the bookstore and show your school I.D., you'll be entered in a sweepstake for a special surprise! Trust me, you don't want to miss out on this!
· If you plan on playing Flag Football this year, it is REQUIRED to email email@example.com. The teams cannot be made until more people email stating that you are participating and your grade level. The league starts as soon as everyone signs up, so that date is still undecided.
· Go follow @LNSTEMSGA on twitter for updates on school events (like Spirit Week), dances, and latest SGA news!
· Lost: a blue string bag, the strings are black, and it says National Guard on it and it has running clothes and shoes in it. If found, please turn in to office.
· Also looking for a lost iPad2 block and charger cord. Please turn in to office if found.
· Did you know we have a Literary Magazine in Advanced Journalism? We plan for student submissions to be featured regularly in our magazine. In order for this to happen, students are invited to submit their work to firstname.lastname@example.org
· Junior parent night is Sept 25 from 5:30 – 6:30. Come hear about deadlines and responsibilities in this important year!
· Order your class t-shirt today! Proceeds will support Prom. There is a shirt available for each grade. They are white shirts with colored "Class of 20XX" (your graduation year) on the back and a miniature gryphon on the front. The Freshman dates are red, Sophomores are blue, Juniors are green, and Seniors are yellow. The shirts are $15 dollars. They are on sale during all lunch periods and in the mornings. Checks and cash are accepted as payment. Buy one while you still can! HURRY!!! WE STOP SELLING SEPT. 30th!
· On September 20th there will be a chiari awareness walk at Tyson Park. Chiari is a degenerative neurological disorder. For more information there is a flyer here: http://www.conquerchiari.org/ccwaa/ccwaa14%20flyers/knoxville.flyer.pdf. For registration you can go to https://www.conquerchiari.org/ccwaa14/ccwaa_register.asp and sign up under the team name The Brain STEMs. It would be best if everyone who wants to come signs up for it previously. On September 7th at 9:00 and 10:00 pm Niagara Falls will turn purple for chiari malformation awareness for fifteen minutes at a time. http://www.niagaraparks.com/niagara-falls-attractions/niagara-falls-illumination.html
From the Guidance Office:
· College recruiter visits:
o Tuesday 9/16 12:15 in Guidance: Union College, Schenectady NY (a liberal arts college with interdisciplinary studies where, like at STEM, you can think outside the box!) go here instead of Genius Hour
o Friday, 9/19: 12:30 in Guidance: Roanoke College from Salem, VA will have a rep here
· A TN Promise representative will be coming to campus on September 22nd beginning 2nd lunch Genius Hour to provide a brief presentation regarding the TN Promise and assist seniors with individual registration. Please be sure to eat first lunch and meet me in the media center once you have finished. You will need your social to complete the application!
· Guidance will be hosting a College Essay Writing Workshop for juniors and seniors on September 24th beginning 1st lunch Genius Hour. You need to be there from the beginning to participate . Learn what colleges are looking for in an essay and how to make yourself more compelling to competitive institutions.
· Juniors and Seniors: today is the deadline for returning your permission form for the College Fair-give them to your STEM4 teachers if you plan to attend.
· The September edition of the College and Scholarship bulletin is now available on the L&N STEM Academy website under the School Counseling tab. Click on "College and Career" and you will find it!
· PSAT Registration is now open! The PSAT is an optional test open to any interested 9th-11th grade student. Students are able to take this test all three years if they desire. Students can find the PSAT registration form on the 'College and Career' page of our website (under the School Counseling tab on main page). The registration form and $14 fee may be submitted to Mrs. Johnson in the Guidance office. Registration deadline is September 19th!
Quote of the day from Les Brown:
Accept responsibility for your life. Know that it is you who will get you where you want to go, no one else.
Practice L&N Habits every day: Collaboration, Critical thinking, Design, Innovation, Inquiry, & Professionalism
L&N STEM Academy – TN’s First Apple School of Distinction, 2-time TN Reward School for Performance (2012 – 2014)