For Thursday, September 25, 2014
“N” Day Classes
· Good luck today to the Cross County Runnin’ Gryphons as they participate in the Norris Dam meet this afternoon!
· CODE COMPETITION MEETING: Monday or Tuesday morning, 9/29 & 9/30, 9:00 AM Depot STEM space (only need to attend one of the meetings). This fall, there is a coding competition amongst East Tennessee high schools, to design a real-world application and then demonstrate it in mid-November to a panel of software experts. This would be a GeniusHour and\or after school activity, can be a team of 8 - 10 students. There are some serious prizes for the winning school AND for winning team members. (See webpage http://www.codeTN.org for details). Come to one of the organizational meetings Monday or Tuesday to hear more about it, and to GET STARTED!!! Prior coding experience would help, but is not mandatory. If there is enough interest, we can field two (or even three) teams. See Mr. Foy if you have any questions, and he hopes to see you at either of the two organizational meetings!!!
· Please take a moment to help a D3 group in empathizing for their chosen school improvement project. Go to https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/FQVMLL2 for a quick survey. Keep in mind all suggestions offered will be considered, completing the survey is not a guarantee anything asked about will be changed. All suggestions must meet cafeterias’ very strict (and far reaching) federal guidelines.
· Congratulations to sophomore Madison Byrd who has been selected for the All East Mixed Choir for our region. They will be performing in late November. Way to go Madison!
· Every summer has it's story... and we want to hear yours! Please send in your summer photos and what you did to email@example.com for a chance to be in the Yearbook!
· Ever thought of traveling the world? Here is your chance! Mr. Webb and Mr. Mangone are planning a trip to Italy for spring break 2016. The major destinations for this trip will be Rome and Florence. Come see Roman ruins and Renaissance masterpieces on this exciting journey. Please fill out the Google Form below if you are interested. An interest meeting will be held on Thursday, September 25 in the Commons at 6:30 for students and parents wanting to go. We hope to see you there! http://bit.ly/1uE9e3B
· Did you know we have a Literary Magazine in Advanced Journalism? We plan for student submissions to be featured regularly in our magazine. In order for this to happen, students are invited to submit their work to firstname.lastname@example.org
· Junior parent night is Sept 25 from 5:30 – 6:30. Come hear about deadlines and responsibilities in this important year!
· Order your class t-shirt today! Proceeds will support Prom. There is a shirt available for each grade. They are white shirts with colored "Class of 20XX" (your graduation year) on the back and a miniature gryphon on the front. The Freshman dates are red, Sophomores are blue, Juniors are green, and Seniors are yellow. The shirts are $15 dollars. They are on sale during all lunch periods and in the mornings. Checks and cash are accepted as payment. Buy one while you still can! HURRY!!! WE STOP SELLING next Tuesday, SEPT. 30th!
Community/service happenings and opportunities:
· Volunteers are being sought for next spring’s Llama Races to be held again in World’s Fair Park. Many positions are available and they are seeking volunteers. Call 865-690-3323, or email email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org
From the Guidance Office:
· College recruiter visits (please sign up/register with Ms. Johnson in the guidance office, email@example.com, BEFORE the visit date)
o Monday, 9/29, 9:00 a.m. Virginia Tech, Blacksburg, VA
o Monday, 9/29, 9:00 a.m., Belmont University, Nashville
o Monday, 9/29, 9:00 a.m., Hendrix College, Hendrix, AR
o Wednesday, 10/1, 12:15 p.m., Centre College, Danville, KY
o Thursday, 10/2, 9:00 a.m., TN State University, Nashville
· Guidance will be hosting a College Essay Writing Workshop for juniors and seniors on September 24th beginning 1st lunch Genius Hour. You need to be there from the beginning to participate . Learn what colleges are looking for in an essay and how to make yourself more compelling to competitive institutions.
Quote of the day from Eleanor Roosevelt
Do one thing every day that scares you.
Practice L&N Habits every day: Collaboration, Critical thinking, Design, Innovation, Inquiry, & Professionalism
L&N STEM Academy – TN’s First Apple School of Distinction, 2-time TN Reward School for Performance (2012 – 2014)