GRYPHON MISSION BRIEFING
For Thursday, February 11, 2016 – “L” classes
2015-16 L&N Student Mission – Own it!
· Good luck to our aquatic Gryphons headed to compete at the State Championships today and tomorrow. Go get ‘em – Abby Barker, Emily Bretscher, Paul Bretscher, Eddie Ceausu, Katie Chase, Graham Denton, Nick Duncan, Brooke Foster, Jessica Foster, Sydney Goodman, Alex Hines, Macy Hudson, Ben Kaman, Alli Lapps, Jonathan Lara, Marcus Lee, Delany Martin, Taylor Martin, Kendyl Nicely, Preston Nicely, Abigail Rumpp, Ethan Sanders, Lindsey Sanders, Owen Sanders, and Jacob Siler!
· Students are reminded that our front office cannot accept commercial deliveries (floral, cookie, pizza, or otherwise) to students. Please pass on to your sweeties that they need to arrange for delivery somewhere else – we won’t let them drop them off here.
· On sale Friday at breakfast and all three lunches at the Bookstore.
· National Science & Engineering Festival in Washington, D.C. April 13-17
Because of hotel room arrangements we have two additional slots for male students available on the DC Field Trip. First come, first served. E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org if you decide to go. Bring your $100 deposit and filled out field trip permission form (request it in your email). Ms. Jorgenson will also be taking a team of art students to explore the wonderful (and free) art museums. For more information, see http://www.usasciencefestival.org. All students going on the field trip need to remember to bring your $300 balance to Ms. Jorgenson before March 4.
· Just in time for Valentine’s Day, the media center will be offering a match-making service! From Monday, February 9th to Friday, February 12th, come to the media center and let us set you up on a blind date—with a good book! We’re wrapping up some of our books so that you can’t judge them by their covers (or their titles or blurbs). You’ll pick a book based on hints in its personal ad, and you won’t know what book you’ve chosen until you check it out and unwrap it. If you’re willing to take a chance on something new and different, you might just fall in love! (And even if the book you pick isn’t a good match for you, at least you’ll get to unwrap a present; and who doesn’t like finding out what the surprise is under wrapping paper?)
· Make plans to join us for a pancake breakfast fundraiser hosted by SGA on Saturday, March 5th, from 8:30 A.M. to 10 A.M. The fundraiser will be held at the Chili's restaurant located in North Knoxville at 6635 Clinton Highway. Tickets are $8 for adults and $4 for children 12 and under. All proceeds from the event will benefit the Great Starts program at the Helen Ross McNabb Center. Tickets can be purchased at the door or online at https://www.eventbrite.com/e/pancake-breakfast-fundraiser-tickets-21053284942?aff=ebrowse. Bring your family and friends and help us give back to our community!
· Our TSA team rocked the regional competition this weekend at Roane State. Congrats to the following winners! Cameron Johnson (2nd place Career Prep), 1st place Chapter Team – Owen Sanders, Laura Bretscher, Kendyl Nicely, Emily Bretscher, Brooke Foster, Cameron Johnson, 2nd place Chapter Team – Hyatt Christenberry, Haley Folsom, Macy Hudson, Christina Varnes, Lindsey Sanders, Amanda Peebles, 1st place Photographic Technology – Lauren Tenpenny, 3rd place – Natalie Duncan, 1st place Engineering Design – Emily Bretscher, Laura Bretscher, Mattie Mills, Macy Hudson, 1st place Essays on Technology – Cameron Johnson,1st place Extemporaneous Speech – Hyatt Christenberry, 1st place Prepared Presentation – Nick Duncan, 1st place Technical Sketching – Amanda Peebles, 1st place Tech Bowl – Owen Sanders, Rosey White, Nick Duncan, 3rd place – Eddie Ceausu, Brooke Foster, Jonathan Berry. Big congrats to the whole team and sponsor, Mr. LaFollette!
· Another Governor’s School acceptance – this one is to the school of the Arts for Filmmaking. Way to go Cameron Johnson! Best wishes on your acceptance!
· Seniors: Plan now to be here Friday, Feb 12 between 8:30 – 9:30 in room 104 to pick up your senior supplies (Cap/gown, tankards, and announcements). You will receive a collection envelope in the mail. Any remaining balance due must be paid before you pick up your things. Supplies not picked up will be taken back to Josten’s. There is a $20 shipping charge for any supplies that have to be mailed. **Please note – if you’re already paid in full or send the balance with someone you can have anyone you wish pick it up for you (parent, friend . ..).
· Prom tickets for the Junior/Senior Prom are available for purchase during lunch. Single tickets are $50 and a couple tickets are $90 until February 29. After that there is another price increase - so get your tickets now!
Theme: A Red Carpet Romance Location: Gettysvue Country Club
Date: Saturday, April 23, 2016 Time: 7-11 pm
· Help the Senior Class raise money and plan on inviting everyone you know to the STEM Around the World event, Saturday, Feb 27, from 12:00 – 4:00. See the attached flyer for more info.
Community & Guidance Ops:
· Leadership Knoxville is seeking applicants for the 2016-17 Youth Leadership Class. Must be a current sophomore to be eligible. Find out more about the program at www.leadershipknoxville.com/programs-services/youth-leadership-knoxville. Email Mrs. Ashe if you’re interested in applying. Deadline is Friday, Feb 26th.
Quotes of the day from Bob Marley:
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Practice L&N Habits every day: Collaboration, Critical thinking, Design, Innovation, Inquiry, & Professionalism
L&N STEM Academy – TN’s First Apple School of Distinction, 2-time TN Reward School for Performance (2012 – 2015)