GRYPHON MISSION BRIEFING
For Thursday, February 4, 2016 – “L” classes
2015-16 L&N Student Mission – Own it!
· Congratulations to our 5 L&N Regional Scholastic winners! Megan Abella (drawing) and Hannah Kearns (collage) both won Gold Keys, and their pieces will go on to compete at the national level. (This is Hannah's third Gold Key in three years!) Grace Keith won a Silver Key for her mixed media collage. Austin Bradley (oil pastel drawing) and Austin Monk (graphite drawing) both won honorable mentions. This regional competition is for the entire Southeast region, including Florida, the Carolinas, Alabama, Virginia, Georgia and Tennessee. We are so fortunate to have such talented students representing the L&N STEM Academy!
· Prom tickets for the Junior/Senior Prom are available for purchase during lunch. Single tickets are $50 and a couple tickets are $90 until February 29. After that there is another price increase - so get your tickets now!
Theme: A Red Carpet Romance Location: Gettysvue Country Club
Date: Saturday, April 23, 2016 Time: 7-11 pm
· Congratulations to L&N Advanced Art student and NAHS member Abigail Rumpp for winning first place in the high school division and the Grand Prize in the Tennessee Youth Art Month (YAM) flag design competition! Her design will be used to create the flag representing Tennessee at the National Art Education Convention in Chicago in March (Youth Art Month). In addition, she, a parent and Ms. Jorgenson, will be flown to NYC this summer for an award ceremony and tour of art museums. In addition, Abigail and our art department will receive art supplies provided by Sargent Art, the competition's sponsor. Well done Abigail!!
· Help the Senior Class raise money and plan on inviting everyone you know to the STEM Around the World event, Saturday, Feb 27, from 12:00 – 4:00. See the attached flyer for more info.
· The Science Bowl team (Alec Bissell, Ben Kaman, Jacob Samar, Jacob Siler, and Kishan Tailor) placed 2nd of 10 teams at the Oak Ridge Invitational last Saturday, narrowly being defeated by Farragut in the championship round. They will compete again at the state tournament on February 27. Good luck!
· Congratulations to the following students who have been invited to participate in UT Physics Dept first ever student Open House. They only invited 13 from across our entire county – and L&N has more than half the seats! “Way to go” to : Emily Chapin, Thomas Coppock, Jolie Fogel, Ben Kaman, Julia Pavon, Joanna Reed, Ethan Ritch, and Jacob Samar.
· Governor’s School programs are starting to announce acceptance: Congrats and best wishes to each of the following students announced so far: Chloe Taylor, School for Science, Kishan Tailor, School for Engineering, Emily Chapin, School for Engineering! As more of you get your acceptance letters, please let your counselors know so we can recognize your achievements!
· Our robotics team, the L&N STEMpunks, will be selling new 2016 shirts in the commons this week! Shirts are $20 and help the team pay for their $9000 competition registration fees and $5000 robot! You can also email Daniel Bueckman at: firstname.lastname@example.org if you want a shirt. Shirt design at bottom of announcements.
· The L&N STEM PTSA is having a T-shirt design contest and we need lots of entries.... there's a $50 prize for the winning shirt design!...plus a free T-shirt! T-shirt will have the L&N school crest on the front left chest, so the design will be for the back of the shirt. Design should be something that represents our school or it’s culture.
· no more than 2 colors of ink (white counts as a color if the shirt is not white)
· color of the T-shirt is up to the designer so please state your color on the entry
· deadline is February, 8th, 2016
· send your design in jpeg format to PTSA.LNSTEM@gmail.com
Community & Guidance Ops:
· Leadership Knoxville is seeking applicants for the 2016-17 Youth Leadership Class. Must be a current sophomore to be eligible. Find out more about the program at www.leadershipknoxville.com/programs-services/youth-leadership-knoxville. Email Mrs. Ashe if you’re interested in applying. Deadline is Friday, Feb 26th.
Quotes of the day from Thomas Edison:
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
Practice L&N Habits every day: Collaboration, Critical thinking, Design, Innovation, Inquiry, & Professionalism
L&N STEM Academy – TN’s First Apple School of Distinction, 2-time TN Reward School for Performance (2012 – 2015)