GRYPHON MISSION BRIEFING
For Monday, February 29, 2016 – “M” classes
Early Release Schedule
2015-16 L&N Student Mission – Own it!
· Its time for us to select our candidate from the L&N for the CTE Goes Live systemwide talent contest! If you’d like to be considered, send Mrs. Ashe a link to a video of you performing (YouTube works great). We’ll send a single link to all of the videos during Advisory period Friday, March 4 (next Friday) so everyone can watch and cast your votes for our rep to this big contest. Email if you have questions – good luck! (must be solo acts only – no groups or bands, sorry, that’s CTE contest rules).
· Autumn is the best time of the year for a trip to NYC! There will be an interest meeting about our fall break trip to NYC on NEXT Wednesday, March 9 from 6-7 p.m. The trip will take place Saturday morning, October 8-Thursday morning, October 13, 2016. We will see: the Rockefeller Center, Fifth Avenue, Grand Central Station, Metropolitan Museum of Art, the Statue of Liberty/Ellis Island, 9/11 Memorial, Greenwich Village, Soho, Chinatown, Little Italy, the Museum of Modern Art, Central Park & the Zoo, Times Square, High Line, the American Museum of Natural History/Hayden Planetarium, a Broadway and an off-Broadway Show. If you are interested, please answer the survey at: http://goo.gl/forms/rDYWbvQdkX
(If you have already done this, please DO NOT do it again. Thanks.)
Chaperones will be Mr. Bell, Mr. Childers, Mr. Crattie, Ms. Ellis, Ms. Morrell and Ms. Jorgenson.
· Congrats to Sydney Fuhrig who just got accepted to the Governor’s Schools for the Humanities at UT Martin this summer! Way to go!
· REMINDER: Your $300 balance is DUE if you are going (and have already paid your deposit) to the National Science & Engineering Festival in Washington, D.C. April 13-17. Please bring your payment to Ms. Jorgensen or Ms. Ellis before March 4. If for any reason, you cannot come, please let us know right away.
Note: Because of hotel room arrangements we have two additional slots for male students available on the DC Field Trip. First come, first served. E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org if you decide to go. Bring your $400 (total cost) and filled out field trip permission form (attached). Ms. Jorgenson will also be taking a team of art students to explore the wonderful (and free) art museums. For more information, see http://www.usasciencefestival.org.
· SENIORS: There's only 2 weeks left to pay Senior Dues! Don't delay! Full dues are $140. See breakdown of price below. Don't forget your $25 Senior Fee. This is not included in the dues! Dues and Fees can be brought to Ms. Stanish or Mrs. Brown.
Senior Dues Breakdown: (fee waiver CANNOT be applied)
1) $50 Yearbook (discounted $20)
2) $40 Prom ticket (discounted $15)
3) $50 Senior Luncheon and 10 custom Thank you Cards
Senior Fees: (fee waiver CAN be applied)
$25 for diploma and diploma cover
· On Monday, March 7th, you can support our school and help the community (and so can your parents!) at our annual MEDIC Blood Drive. Here’s a link to sign up for your donation time:
There is a form you need to complete and bring with you on the day of donation. It is attached.
· Make plans to join us for a pancake breakfast fundraiser hosted by SGA on Saturday, March 5th, from 8:30 A.M. to 10 A.M. The fundraiser will be held at the Chili's restaurant located in North Knoxville at 6635 Clinton Highway. Tickets are $8 for adults and $4 for children 12 and under. All proceeds from the event will benefit the Great Starts program at the Helen Ross McNabb Center. Tickets can be purchased at the door or online at https://www.eventbrite.com/e/pancake-breakfast-fundraiser-tickets-21053284942?aff=ebrowse. Bring your family and friends and help us give back to our community!
Community & Guidance Ops:
· Knox County Youth Health Board is seeking applicants. The Youth Health Board is a diverse group of young people from across Knox County. Two reps from each high school will be accepted. Students who are selected will be able to explore the field of Public Health and expand their knowledge by working with numerous health professionals. Members will work with their community to address issues that they are passionate about. Deadline to apply is April 1, 2016. See front office for more info and applications.
· Current juniors – are you interested in having a voice in our system? Applications are now open for the Student Rep on the Knox County School Board. Pick up an application in the office. Deadline is March 11.
Quotes of the day from Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr.:
Man’s mind stretched to a new idea never goes back to its original dimensions.
Practice L&N Habits every day: Collaboration, Critical thinking, Design, Innovation, Inquiry, & Professionalism
L&N STEM Academy – TN’s First Apple School of Distinction, 2-time TN Reward School for Performance (2012 – 2015)