GRYPHON MISSION BRIEFING
For Wednesday, February 24, 2016 – “N” classes
2015-16 L&N Student Mission – Own it!
· Bring your neighbors – bring your friends and join us to help the Senior Class raise money at the STEM Around the World event, Saturday, Feb 27, from 12:00 – 4:00. See the attached flyer for more info. Notice the decorations around the Commons and in some classrooms? They’re for the event – please do not disturb or move them!
· Rising Juniors and Seniors, there will be a dual enrollment informational meeting on Wed., Feb. 24th at 9am in room G006--next to the Guidance Office. If you're not sure how to register for dual enrollment classes and need more information about the process, you won't want to miss this meeting.
· Congratulations to our Knox County PTA award winners. In the Reflections competition Photography category, Kiersten Morris won 1st, Kendyl Nicely won 2nd, and Erin Victorson won 3rd; Visual Arts category, Austin Monk won 3rd, Katlynn Armstrong won an Honorable Mention; Literature, Cadence Forrest-Banks won an Honorable Mention. Kiersten also won a Knox County Council PTA Scholarship! Great job, Gryphon artists!
· REMINDER: Your $300 balance is DUE if you are going (and have already paid your deposit) to the National Science & Engineering Festival in Washington, D.C. April 13-17. Please bring your payment to Ms. Jorgensen or Ms. Ellis before March 4. If for any reason, you cannot come, please let us know right away.
Note: Because of hotel room arrangements we have two additional slots for male students available on the DC Field Trip. First come, first served. E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org if you decide to go. Bring your $400 (total cost) and filled out field trip permission form (attached). Ms. Jorgenson will also be taking a team of art students to explore the wonderful (and free) art museums. For more information, see http://www.usasciencefestival.org.
· Don’t forget to return your course request sheet for next year to the office or guidance by tomorrow, Feb 26!
· STUDENTS: There's only 1 week left to get prom tickets at the current price and tickets are only on sale for 3 more weeks! Prom tickets for the Junior/Senior Prom are available for purchase during lunch. Single tickets are $50 and couple tickets are $90 until February 29! Don't wait! Prices increase in March!
Theme: A Red Carpet Romance Location: Gettysvue Country Club
Date: Saturday, April 23, 2016 Time: 7-11 pm
· SENIORS: There's only 3 weeks left to pay Senior Dues! Don't delay! Full dues are $140. See breakdown of price below. Don't forget your $25 Senior Fee. This is not included in the dues! Dues and Fees can be brought to Ms. Stanish or Mrs. Brown.
Senior Dues Breakdown: (fee waiver CANNOT be applied)
1) $50 Yearbook (discounted $20)
2) $40 Prom ticket (discounted $15)
3) $50 Senior Luncheon and 10 custom Thank you Cards
Senior Fees: (fee waiver CAN be applied)
$25 for diploma and diploma cover
· On Monday, March 7th, you can support our school and help the community (and so can your parents!) at our annual MEDIC Blood Drive. Here’s a link to sign up for your donation time:
There is a form you need to complete and bring with you on the day of donation. It is attached.
· Make plans to join us for a pancake breakfast fundraiser hosted by SGA on Saturday, March 5th, from 8:30 A.M. to 10 A.M. The fundraiser will be held at the Chili's restaurant located in North Knoxville at 6635 Clinton Highway. Tickets are $8 for adults and $4 for children 12 and under. All proceeds from the event will benefit the Great Starts program at the Helen Ross McNabb Center. Tickets can be purchased at the door or online at https://www.eventbrite.com/e/pancake-breakfast-fundraiser-tickets-21053284942?aff=ebrowse. Bring your family and friends and help us give back to our community!
Community & Guidance Ops:
· Current juniors – are you interested in having a voice in our system? Applications are now open for the Student Rep on the Knox County School Board. Pick up an application in the office. Deadline is March 11.
Quotes of the day from poet Sally Berger:
The secret of getting ahead is getting started.
Practice L&N Habits every day: Collaboration, Critical thinking, Design, Innovation, Inquiry, & Professionalism
L&N STEM Academy – TN’s First Apple School of Distinction, 2-time TN Reward School for Performance (2012 – 2015)