GRYPHON MISSION BRIEFING
For Wednesday, February 17, 2016 – “N” classes
2015-16 L&N Student Mission – Own it!
· On Monday, March 7th, you can support our school and help the community (and so can your parents!) at our annual MEDIC Blood Drive. Here’s a link to sign up for your donation time:
There is a form you need to complete and bring with you on the day of donation. It is attached.
· Our team was strong in the State pool over the weekend! Finishing 4th place overall as a team in the state out of 140 schools! Congrats to: Jacob Siler, 3rd diving; Paul Bretscher, 5th diving; Alex Hines, 2nd 500 Free; Ethan Sanders, 5th 500 Free, Alli Lapps, 4th 100 Back; Lindsey Sanders, 10th 100 Breast; Alli Lapps, Macy Hudson, Abigail Rumpp, Jessica Foster, 5th place Girls 200 Free Relay AND 8th place 400 Free Relay; Alex Hines, Preston Nicely, Owen Sanders, Ethan Sanders, Boys 400 Free Relay, Emily Bretscher, 1st Girls Diving Champ AND Female Diver of the Meet!
· Congratulations to L&N’s Ethics Bowl team of Justin Cross, Katie Armstrong, Chase Compton, Max Mylchrest, Mattie Collins, and Madeline Lonas for capturing First Place in last Saturday’s Tennessee High School Ethics Bowl!! The annual competition, presented by UT’s Philosophy Department and Center for Humanities, attracted 15 teams from high schools across East Tennessee. By winning, the team qualifies for the National High School Ethics Bowl in April hosted by the Parr Center for Ethics at the University of North Carolina Chapel Hill. Teams from 23 states and 1 from Canada will compete. Also, congratulations to a second L&N team consisting of Micah Riggs, Quinn Muhammed, Lily Bissell, Zoe Maxwell, and Christian Heck for finishing a very respectable fifth place overall in their first taste of competition. Go Gryphons!
· National Science & Engineering Festival in Washington, D.C. April 13-17
Because of hotel room arrangements we have two additional slots for male students available on the DC Field Trip. First come, first served. E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org if you decide to go. Bring your $100 deposit and filled out field trip permission form (request it in your email). Ms. Jorgenson will also be taking a team of art students to explore the wonderful (and free) art museums. For more information, see http://www.usasciencefestival.org. All students going on the field trip need to remember to bring your $300 balance to Ms. Jorgenson before March 4.
· Make plans to join us for a pancake breakfast fundraiser hosted by SGA on Saturday, March 5th, from 8:30 A.M. to 10 A.M. The fundraiser will be held at the Chili's restaurant located in North Knoxville at 6635 Clinton Highway. Tickets are $8 for adults and $4 for children 12 and under. All proceeds from the event will benefit the Great Starts program at the Helen Ross McNabb Center. Tickets can be purchased at the door or online at https://www.eventbrite.com/e/pancake-breakfast-fundraiser-tickets-21053284942?aff=ebrowse. Bring your family and friends and help us give back to our community!
· Prom tickets for the Junior/Senior Prom are available for purchase during lunch. Single tickets are $50 and a couple tickets are $90 until February 29. After that there is another price increase - so get your tickets now!
Theme: A Red Carpet Romance Location: Gettysvue Country Club
Date: Saturday, April 23, 2016 Time: 7-11 pm
· Help the Senior Class raise money and plan on inviting everyone you know to the STEM Around the World event, Saturday, Feb 27, from 12:00 – 4:00. See the attached flyer for more info.
Community & Guidance Ops:
· Leadership Knoxville is seeking applicants for the 2016-17 Youth Leadership Class. Must be a current sophomore to be eligible. Find out more about the program at www.leadershipknoxville.com/programs-services/youth-leadership-knoxville. Email Mrs. Ashe if you’re interested in applying. Deadline is Friday, Feb 26th.
Quotes of the day from Eric Thomas:
When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe then you will be successful.
Practice L&N Habits every day: Collaboration, Critical thinking, Design, Innovation, Inquiry, & Professionalism
L&N STEM Academy – TN’s First Apple School of Distinction, 2-time TN Reward School for Performance (2012 – 2015)