GRYPHON MISSION BRIEFING
For Friday, May 13, 2016 – “N” classes
AP Human Geography & AP Latin Exam
Senior N1 and N2 exams – last day!
Underclassmen N3 and N4 exams (last class meeting)
2015-16 L&N Student Mission – Own it!
· Don’t forget – Monday we will follow “L” day class schedule – NO EARLY RELEASE! You will go to Advisory and eat lunch on that schedule and take L3 and L4 final exams!
· Don’t forget to turn in final exam early dismissal slips to any teacher no later than Monday!
· Students who anticipate needing summer school must attend a mandatory orientation and registration session in the Commons on Tuesday, May 17th @ 6:00pm. More information can be found at http://www.knoxschools.org/Page/12322.
· From the Golden Gryphon branch of the Y-12 Credit Union –
Photography Contest Winners:
Grand Prize Winner - Ansley Parker
Front Desk Award - Alli Lapps
Bookstore Award - Kiara Blair
PTSA Award - Katie Lawson
Equality Club Award - Nick D'Alessandro
Golden Gryphon Awards - Kassidy Parish, Layla Abead, Lauren Morris, Ilana Blumenthal
Honorable Mention - Ansley Parker, Nick D'Alessandro
All winners should stop by the office to pick up your award. See their winning photos on display behind the bank counter in the Commons.
· The Gryphon Guide application is live! There are lots of opportunities within the organization to help serve your school. Email email@example.com with any questions. Apply here.
· Any student who is storing guitars or other non-band/orchestra equipment in the music room: You must be take your equipment home no later than this Friday (5/13). As we are now starting our inventory process, all student-owned equipment (guitars, amps, cases, etc.) must leave the school by the end of this week. Starting tomorrow, please do not bring any new instruments and store them in the music space. Thank you for your attention to this matter. Please email/see Mr. Gibson if you have any questions!
· This weekend everyone is invited to Baccalaureate, a non-denominational ceremony, recognizing graduates on Sunday, May 15, 3:00 p.m. at Church Street United Methodist Church. All are welcome!
· The leadership class participated in a project to beautify our campus. Please notice the path and newly planted flowers in the outdoor classroom and the fresh mulch surrounding the flagpole area. The class also trimmed the bushes in front of the depot, planted flower seeds, and lay down a path to cross within the mulch. The leadership class would love it if everyone took notice of their hard work and used the new paths.
· Please take a few moments to go to the site below to vote for your favorite PSA created by our beginning broadcasting students:
· You’ve read the announcements, looked over the itinerary, and considered visiting New York City during Fall Break 2016—now is the time to commit to this trip! We have custom-designed this tour just for L&N students and parents. This all-inclusive tour comes at a very affordable price, totaling $1,052.00. The only money you will need on the trip will be for souvenirs and food on the bus. GOOD NEWS: You can reserve your spot on this trip for only $150.00! Registration and the $150 deposit is due by May 18.
Community & Guidance Ops:
· Knox Area Urban League is recruiting for next fall’s class of National Achievers. If you are a student of color, will be in grades 10-12 next year, and have a 3.0 or higher GPA, you are invited to apply (attached). Deadline for application is May 23.
· Students and parents interested in attending an information session with Yale, Caltech, MIT, and Pomona need to pre-register here: http://bit.ly/1WpAPpQ The panel will be held at Farragut High School, Wednesday, 5/18, at 7:00 p.m. with a program to discuss academic and campus life, selective college admissions, and financial aid.
Quote of the day from Eleanor Roosevelt:
In the long run, we shape our lives, and we shape ourselves. The process never ends until we die. And the choices we make are ultimately our own responsibility.
Practice L&N Habits every day: Collaboration, Critical thinking, Design, Innovation, Inquiry, & Professionalism
L&N STEM Academy – TN’s First Apple School of Distinction,
2-time TN Reward School for Performance (2012 – 2015)