GRYPHON MISSION BRIEFING
For Friday, May 6, 2016 – “N” classes
AP US History/ AP European History tests
2015-16 L&N Student Mission – Own it!
· Make plans to go downtown tonight to Market Square and cheer on our own Erykah Carter as she represents the school in the systemwide talent showcase “CTE Goes Live!” Admission is free. Show starts at 6:30 and should end at 9:00. Erykah will have pins and her head on a stick that you can use to show who you’re supporting. Come down for food vendors, this is First Friday – and stay on to cheer and vote for Erykah!
· Track practice today at 5:00 at West High School – per Coach Pickle.
· Congratulations to our own L&N art student, Austin Monk. His artwork "Nested Hands" will be forwarded to Congressman John Duncan's Washington office and then presented to the Capitol art curator to be hung. This artwork, representing the Second Congressional District of Tennessee will be on display for members of Congress and thousands of visitors to enjoy while walking in the national Capitol building for a year. Austin and a family member will be flown to the Congressional Artist Reception in Washington DC. Congressman Duncan's assistant Pat Thompson said, "We had a wonderful turn out this year: seven schools in Knoxville, along with Maryville and Washburn. The Congressman was well pleased." Thank you, Austin, for representing our school so well!
· Please take a few moments to go to the site below to vote for your favorite PSA created by our beginning broadcasting students:
· The Spike ball Genius Hour teachers are hosting a Spike ball and 4 square tournament this week. April and May is fund raising time for our friends at the Downtown YMCA. Our goal is to encourage you to donate a few dollars (or more if you like) while playing SB or 4SQ. We can then give the proceeds to the Downtown YMCA for their fundraiser. The Y does so much for us in PE and Wellness that we feel it is important to give back to them.
So come play Spike ball and 4 Square this week during Genius Hour. We will have awards and gift cards for top players/teams. It will be a ton of fun and help continue our great relationship with our friends at the YMCA. Hope to see you all at Genius Hour this week.
Talk to Mr. Orrick, Waxmonsky, Smith, Ebright, Peterson and Parker if you have any questions. If we get rained out this week we can finish the tournaments next week.
· You’ve read the announcements, looked over the itinerary, and considered visiting New York City during Fall Break 2016—now is the time to commit to this trip! We have custom-designed this tour just for L&N students and parents. This all-inclusive tour comes at a very affordable price, totaling $1,052.00. The only money you will need on the trip will be for souvenirs and food on the bus. GOOD NEWS: You can reserve your spot on this trip for only $150.00! Registration and the $150 deposit is due by May 18.
· Y-12 Federal Credit Union is now accepting applications for student volunteers to work at the Golden Gryphon Credit Union (located in the Commons) on Wednesdays and Fridays during Genius Hour for the 2016-2017 school year. This is a great opportunity for students looking to earn work experience or volunteer hours, and student volunteers over the age of 16 are eligible to apply for a paid internship at a Y-12 branch. Come by and talk to current students involved with the credit union during lunch to learn more about it! Pick up an application from the folder on the door of Room 215.
Community & Guidance Ops:
· Local audition notice (also attached) for an outdoor summer production of William Shakespeare's "A Midsummer Night's Dream". They are looking for high school aged actors, singer, and musicians. It's a great opportunity in addition to a great experience for local students. The attached flyer gives some brief information on when and where the auditions will be and the requirements for the actors, musicians, and singers. It also gives some details on when the actual performance of "A Midsummer Night's Dream" is for anyone who wants to come watch. If you or anyone else has questions you can contact Alex Drinnen at (865) 934-7754 or Jay Apking at (865) 599-6710.
· SENIORS are reminded to complete the Senior Exit Survey by this Friday, May 6. This was sent to you by Mrs. Basner in email yesterday, here’s the link again: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1t0L6j5nC9QsVxlhlLpScyLNVZBLEDH_H23Lxm9Uvn10/viewform
Quote of the day from Albert Einstein:
Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow.
Practice L&N Habits every day: Collaboration, Critical thinking, Design, Innovation, Inquiry, & Professionalism
L&N STEM Academy – TN’s First Apple School of Distinction, 2-time TN Reward School for Performance (2012 – 2015)