GRYPHON MISSION BRIEFING
For Tuesday, May 17, 2016 – “L” classes
Underclassmen L1 and L2 exams (last class meeting)
2015-16 L&N Student Mission – Own it!
· Any boys or girls interested in play on the golf team in the fall should email Mr. Waxmonsky. The season begins in July and ends in October.
· Make plans to bring a chair and survive the Zombie Apolocalypse student theatre production on Thursday, May 19, 7:00 p.m. on the Plaza. Admission is free to this approximately 1 hour production!
· Today is Yearbook Distribution. Everyone will dismiss from your last test at 12:30 to the Commons/Plaza/verandah area. You may eat lunch (cafeteria is open) or line up to receive yearbooks on the plaza under the stairs.
o If you have returned an early dismissal form you may leave once you have your yearbook, if you wish.
o Buses will run at 4:30. You may not leave campus and return to ride a bus home.
o You may also turn in your iPad if you will not need it for testing on Wednesday (in the Media Center).
o Students will stay in the Commons/plaza/verandah unless in the company of a teacher going to makeup work elsewhere in the building.
o If you did not pre-order you may purchase one of the few extras that will be available, first come-first served, for $80 in cash or check made out to Josten’s.
· Congratulations to Rory Glatt for winning the boys’ individual tennis regional title. Now he will head to state tournament next week in Murfreesboro!
· Congratulations to the newly selected officer team for National Honors Society for2016-17:
Secretary - Abbey Morgan
Treasurer - Brice Ard
Parliamentarian - Andrew Thayer
Historian - Joy Carrigan
· Congratulations to our boys’ tennis team for winning the Region 2A-AA Championship! They now progress to sub-state against CAK this week.
· Have you seen the latest edition of The Gryphon Grind? Check it out at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-oNUSIOUm8
· Students who anticipate needing summer school must attend a mandatory orientation and registration session in the Commons on Tuesday, May 17th @ 6:00pm. More information can be found at http://www.knoxschools.org/Page/12322.
· From the Golden Gryphon branch of the Y-12 Credit Union –
Photography Contest Winners:
Grand Prize Winner - Ansley Parker
Front Desk Award - Alli Lapps
Bookstore Award - Kiara Blair
PTSA Award - Katie Lawson
Equality Club Award - Nick D'Alessandro
Golden Gryphon Awards - Kassidy Parish, Layla Abead, Lauren Morris, Ilana Blumenthal
Honorable Mention - Ansley Parker, Nick D'Alessandro
All winners should stop by the office to pick up your award. See their winning photos on display behind the bank counter in the Commons.
· The Gryphon Guide application is live! There are lots of opportunities within the organization to help serve your school. Email email@example.com with any questions. Apply here.
· You’ve read the announcements, looked over the itinerary, and considered visiting New York City during Fall Break 2016—now is the time to commit to this trip! We have custom-designed this tour just for L&N students and parents. This all-inclusive tour comes at a very affordable price, totaling $1,052.00. The only money you will need on the trip will be for souvenirs and food on the bus. GOOD NEWS: You can reserve your spot on this trip for only $150.00! Registration and the $150 deposit is due by May 18.
Community & Guidance Ops:
· Want to know more about National Achievers (mentioned below)? Come to room 103 (next to Media Center) Tuesday, 5/17, at 9:15 to hear from current members!
· Knox Area Urban League is recruiting for next fall’s class of National Achievers. If you are a student of color, will be in grades 10-12 next year, and have a 3.0 or higher GPA, you are invited to apply (attached). Deadline for application is May 23.
· Students and parents interested in attending an information session with Yale, Caltech, MIT, and Pomona need to pre-register here: http://bit.ly/1WpAPpQ The panel will be held at Farragut High School, Wednesday, 5/18, at 7:00 p.m. with a program to discuss academic and campus life, selective college admissions, and financial aid.
Quote of the day from Confucius:
A man who lacks reliability is utterly useless.
Practice L&N Habits every day: Collaboration, Critical thinking, Design, Innovation, Inquiry, & Professionalism
L&N STEM Academy – TN’s First Apple School of Distinction,
2-time TN Reward School for Performance (2012 – 2015)