GRYPHON MISSION BRIEFING
For Monday, May 16, 2016 – “L” classes
Underclassmen L3 and L4 exams (last class meeting)
2015-16 L&N Student Mission – Own it!
· Remember – today you will go to “L” day classes and take your final exams in L3 and L4 classes. You will go to Advisory at midday (no Genius Hour) and have the lunch you normally have with Advisories on Friday. Also remember – today is NOT Early Release – school is in session until 4:30!
· Today is the last day to return permission slips that will allow you to leave as early as 12:30 this Tuesday and Wednesday. You may choose to stay for yearbook signing on Tuesday and leave when you want but only if you turned in your slip. Same is true for after turning in your technology on Wednesday.
· Congratulations to the newly selected officer team for National Honors Society for2016-17:
Secretary - Abbey Morgan
Treasurer - Brice Ard
Parliamentarian - Andrew Thayer
Historian - Joy Carrigan
· Congratulations to our boys’ tennis team for winning the Region 2A-AA Championship! They now progress to sub-state against CAK this week.
· Yearbooks are here! We will distribute Tuesday beginning at 1:00 on the Commons/Plaza. If you did not pre-order you may purchase one of the few extras that will be available, first come-first served, for $80 in cash or check made out to Josten’s.
· Have you seen the latest edition of The Gryphon Grind? Check it out at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-oNUSIOUm8
· Students who anticipate needing summer school must attend a mandatory orientation and registration session in the Commons on Tuesday, May 17th @ 6:00pm. More information can be found at http://www.knoxschools.org/Page/12322.
· From the Golden Gryphon branch of the Y-12 Credit Union –
Photography Contest Winners:
Grand Prize Winner - Ansley Parker
Front Desk Award - Alli Lapps
Bookstore Award - Kiara Blair
PTSA Award - Katie Lawson
Equality Club Award - Nick D'Alessandro
Golden Gryphon Awards - Kassidy Parish, Layla Abead, Lauren Morris, Ilana Blumenthal
Honorable Mention - Ansley Parker, Nick D'Alessandro
All winners should stop by the office to pick up your award. See their winning photos on display behind the bank counter in the Commons.
· The Gryphon Guide application is live! There are lots of opportunities within the organization to help serve your school. Email email@example.com with any questions. Apply here.
· Any student who is storing guitars or other non-band/orchestra equipment in the music room: You must be take your equipment home no later than this Friday (5/13). As we are now starting our inventory process, all student-owned equipment (guitars, amps, cases, etc.) must leave the school by the end of this week. Starting tomorrow, please do not bring any new instruments and store them in the music space. Thank you for your attention to this matter. Please email/see Mr. Gibson if you have any questions!
· Please take a few moments to go to the site below to vote for your favorite PSA created by our beginning broadcasting students:
· You’ve read the announcements, looked over the itinerary, and considered visiting New York City during Fall Break 2016—now is the time to commit to this trip! We have custom-designed this tour just for L&N students and parents. This all-inclusive tour comes at a very affordable price, totaling $1,052.00. The only money you will need on the trip will be for souvenirs and food on the bus. GOOD NEWS: You can reserve your spot on this trip for only $150.00! Registration and the $150 deposit is due by May 18.
Community & Guidance Ops:
· Want to know more about National Achievers (mentioned below)? Come to room 103 (next to Media Center) Tuesday, 5/17, at 9:15 to hear from current members!
· Knox Area Urban League is recruiting for next fall’s class of National Achievers. If you are a student of color, will be in grades 10-12 next year, and have a 3.0 or higher GPA, you are invited to apply (attached). Deadline for application is May 23.
· Students and parents interested in attending an information session with Yale, Caltech, MIT, and Pomona need to pre-register here: http://bit.ly/1WpAPpQ The panel will be held at Farragut High School, Wednesday, 5/18, at 7:00 p.m. with a program to discuss academic and campus life, selective college admissions, and financial aid.
Quote of the day from Josiah Gilbert Holland:
Responsibility walks hand in hand with capacity and power.
Practice L&N Habits every day: Collaboration, Critical thinking, Design, Innovation, Inquiry, & Professionalism
L&N STEM Academy – TN’s First Apple School of Distinction,
2-time TN Reward School for Performance (2012 – 2015)