GRYPHON MISSION BRIEFING
For Thursday, November 10, 2016 – “L” day
L&N Student Mission – #Own it!
· Be sure you’ve turned in your Extended Campus form so you can join us at the Veteran’s Day Parade on Friday! See schedule below. If you aren’t sure you did – or need another copy – see Mr. Powell in the front office.
· Congratulations to Cameron Johnson for continuing the tradition – for the 3rd year in a row, an L&N student has won the Oak Ridge National Lab’s Veterans’ Video challenge! Cameron and his guests will receive a check, lunch, and guided tour of some of ORNL’s facilities (like the high flux reactor) at a ceremony on Friday. Way to go Cameron!
· Yearbook is looking for your baby pictures! If you have any pictures of yourself as a small child, please bring the physical copies in to Ms. Brown (you can find her in her office). We will return the pictures to you as soon as we can after we have scanned them. Thank you!
· Do you like Christmas? Now is your chance to give the gift of Christmas to children all around the world....just pack a shoebox. The Class of 2019 is sponsoring a service project for this holiday season, so Sophomores look for us this Wednesday during lunch on the plaza to grab your empty shoebox, free pen, and sticker! ****Any STEM student is welcome to build a shoebox!****
· Outlier’s Advantage: Knoxville In-Home Tutoring is hosting a Free Mock ACT on Saturday, November 19. Students will receive their scores before they leave, and they will get to keep their tests for their review. This is open to all Knox County area students. Limited seating is available. Sign up directly from our homepage at www.KnoxvilleTutor.com.
· Beginning in January, Mrs. Philips will offer Men's and Women's Genius Hour Choirs. The ensembles will prepare and perform contemporary music that might include pop, Broadway and modern a capella. There is no cost to participate. An audition will be required and will take place sometime between November 16-22. If interested, complete this form (https://goo.gl/forms/G3xRB6VfPoyTjmFH3) by November 11 and select audition days that work for you. Mrs. Philips will email you a specific audition time before November 16. Questions, email Katie.Philips@knoxschools.org (one "L" in Philips).
· This Friday is Veteran’s Day – and for the 6th year in a row, the L&N will have a float in the parade and we’ll take a school-wide walking field trip to watch the parade come down Gay St. Please take note of the schedule for the day, and be sure to discuss with your teachers if you have a conflict with a DE class, etc. For Friday, Nov 11, only:
o N1: 9:30-10:30 a.m.
o Parade: 10:30 a.m. - 12:15 p.m.
o Advisory and Lunch: 12:19 p.m. - 1:41 p.m. (reg. time)
o N2: 1:41 p.m. - 2:34 p.m.
o N3: 2:39 p.m. - 3:32 p.m.
o N4: 3:37 p.m. - 4:30 p.m.
· You can support our PTSA by ordering gear from them this month only! See samples in the Media Center, or pass on this link to anyone shopping for you so they can shop online until Nov 28!
· Want to go into a STEM profession? Want to travel the world? Does going to places like Spain and Germany sound appealing to you? The Gryphon Global Studies Program is proud to offer not one, but two different trips to feed your wanderlust! For the first time in the Summer of 2018 we are participating in EF Tour’s Student Leadership Conference. The topic that year is “The Future of Technology” and includes a 12 day tour of Barcelona, Madrid, and Berlin. For those wanting a more relaxed experience, during the Fall of 2018 we are also offering a 9 day tour of Germany and the Alps. For more information please attend our interest meeting on Tuesday, November 15 at 5:30pm in the Commons. We can’t wait to see you there! Questions or concerns, contact email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org. Be sure to follow @GlobalGryphons for more information!
Community & Guidance Ops:
· Women in Engineering: The University of Dayton (Ohio) sponsors an overnight event for female juniors and seniors on November 11. Parents can also attend a related program. More information is at go.udayton.edu/exploreengineering or in the Guidance office.
· Lincoln Memorial University Open House: LMU in Harrogate, TN is having an Open House on November 12, particularly showcasing their fine arts programs. Students and parents are welcome. More information is at lmunet.edu or in the Guidance office.
· Architecture Explorer Post: If you are interested in design and architecture, consider joining the Explorer Post sponsored by the East TN chapter of the American Institute of Architects. More information is in the Guidance office.
Quote of the day from Hillary Clinton’s concession speech:
Our campaign was never about one person or even one election. It was about the country we love and about building an America that's hopeful, inclusive and big-hearted.
Students – you are part of that country. By the time we elect the next president, you will all be old enough to be active in the process. Reflect and learn how you feel about this election’s results and let it carry you forward to be a part of the next one in some positive, productive manner. That’s the L&N way!
Practice L&N Habits every day: Professionalism, Critical Thinking, Collaboration, Innovation, Inquiry, & Design
L&N STEM Academy – TN’s First Apple School of Distinction, US News & World Report Gold Medal 2016, Newsweek’s Top 500 “Beating the Odds” school