GRYPHON MISSION BRIEFING
For Thursday, December 1, 2016 – “L” day
L&N Student Mission – #Own it!
· We know you’re watching the news and keeping up with the devastation in Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge. Its natural to want to do something to ease the suffering, but also important to recognize recovery will be a process that will go on for a long time. For those who wish to contribute now, as a school, we’ve chosen the Red Cross, children and babies, and pets as a focus for our giving. Anyone who wishes may bring unopened pet food or treats, diapers, formula, new kids games or toys, or cash to the office Friday this week. Our Planned Acts of Kindness club will take care of getting donations to drop off points so they can be distributed to those in need. Thanks ahead of time for your willingness to contribute!
· Tomorrow is your last chance to register for the field trip to Oak Ridge National Laboratory. If you are interested in touring the Manufacturing Demonstration Facility (3D Printing), the Spallation Neutron Source, and the High Flux Isotope Reactor, please complete this form: https://goo.gl/forms/UGyPufN64vJ4VCCy1. Selected students will receive an email on Friday, December 2nd with instructions and a field trip form. Students must submit their form and fee ($7.50) by Wednesday, December 7th to attend.
· Hey everybody! Prom committee will be selling single prom tickets in the commons for $40 now through December 21st. This is the lowest price of the year! Don’t wait, after Winter Break the prices go up!
· Looking for a fun and unexpected gift for a STEM friend? Donate $12.50 to the Gryphon Coffee Nook to receive a 10-drink punch card for your friend or favorite faculty member. If you're someone who never has cash with you, this might be a perfect gift...for yourself! From regular coffee and herbal teas to vanilla cappuccino, hot chocolate, and caramel apple cider, we're sure to have something for everybody! Drop by the Media Center to pick one up or fill out the following form https://goo.gl/forms/WA4axTTY3WcjHLTo2 and then drop off cash or check to the attention of the Coffee Nook.
Community & Guidance Ops:
· From your counselors: Sometimes it’s just not possible to sort through tough times alone. Problems can build up and you may lose sleep or find it hard to concentrate on your school work. When you need to talk to someone, your school counselor can be a great place to start.
School counselors are trained to take your problem seriously, listen, and help — it doesn’t have to be just about school stuff. A counselor can help you deal with the sadness of when someone has died as well as advise you on taking the right classes to get into your dream college.
Please remember to first check in with your teacher before going to the school counseling office if you are having an emergency. If you would like to have a meeting about a non-urgent matter, email your school counselor to set up a time that works for both of you. Know that you always have a safe place to talk, draw, or just have someone sit quietly near you while you process on your own.
Quote of the day from Ayn Rand:
A creative mind is motivated by the desire to achieve, not by the desire to beat others.
Practice L&N Habits every day: Professionalism, Critical Thinking, Collaboration, Innovation, Inquiry, & Design
L&N STEM Academy – TN’s First Apple School of Distinction, US News & World Report Gold Medal 2016, Newsweek’s Top 500 “Beating the Odds” school