Here’s what to expect for our Veterans Day activity tomorrow morning. 1st block meets tomorrow from 9:30 – 10:30. We will dismiss to Advisories at 10:30. You should meet your teacher in your regular classroom space for Advisory. You will walk with your Advisory class, paired up with at least one other class, to your group’s assigned viewing spot for the parade.
Some reminders before you go:
- Dress in layers. It will be chilly as you walk over and many of you will view the parade mostly in shade, so it will feel cool. You will warm up some as you walk. Wear comfortable shoes – you will walk and then stand to watch the parade.
- Go to the bathroom on your way to Advisory or before your group leaves the school. Public restrooms are in short supply along the parade route.
- Remember that while in the crowd you represent our school. We expect only the most professional behavior and remembering why there is a parade and we are participating from every student.
- You should leave backpacks/bags in your classroom. Teachers will lock the door as you leave. You do not need devices to view the parade.
- Students may buy from street vendors but are not allowed to go away or leave the group en route or after you arrive at your viewing location.
- Students must return to the school with the group when the parade is over. Seniors or others with checkout privileges must use normal procedures to sign out through the office once we return.
- Your group should stay at your location until our Robotics team passes you – they are the 5th parade entry from the end of the parade lineup. Once they go by you may head back to the building, keeping the group together.
- When you return to the building, you will go back to your Advisory class meeting space and wait until 12:19 to dismiss to regular lunch/Advisory schedules.
- If you have not returned your permission slip or do not feel able to participate – you will stay in the Commons area with teacher supervision but should still report to Advisory so the teacher can take you there on the way off campus. If you wish to view the parade but cannot walk with your group we have a shuttle arranged that can drop you off. Tell your Advisory teacher and they’ll help you get a ride.
Remember what this day is about – honoring those who have served our country in a branch of the Armed Forces. It is held on Nov 11 and was originally called Armistice Day, to remember the end of hostilities of World War I, that occurred on the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month of the year. Did you know we have veterans on our staff and faculty? We hope you’ll thank them and other veterans you encounter for their faithful service to our country.
Officer Clabo – served in the Army
Mr. Colby – served in the Marines
Mr. Crattie – served in the Army
Mr. Foy – served in the Navy
Mr. Hawkins – served in the Marines
And we already have some L&N alumni serving in the military – Hayden Cooper (class of 2014) is in the Navy deployed on a submarine, Alyssa Cox-Lewis (class of 2015) just left for boot camp in the Navy, Brendan Joray (class of 2016) just shipped out with the Air Force, Luke Hixon (class of 2016) is in the Navy training to be a Medic (#1 in his graduating class at boot camp!), and Danielle and Michael Waller (both class of 2016) just completed boot camp for Army Guard Reserve. So proud of our young Gryphon alumni Patriots!
When we return to the building we will follow this schedule for the rest of the day:
Advisory and Lunch: 12:19 p.m. - 1:41 p.m. (reg. time)
N2: 1:41 p.m. - 2:34 p.m.
N3: 2:39 p.m. - 3:32 p.m.
N4: 3:37 p.m. - 4:30 p.m.