GRYPHON MISSION BRIEFING
For Friday, November 11, 2016 – “N” day
L&N Student Mission – #Own it!
· Today is Veteran’s Day – and for the 6th year in a row, the L&N will have a float in the parade and we’ll take a school-wide walking field trip to watch the parade come down Gay St. Please take note of the schedule for the day, and be sure to discuss with your teachers if you have a conflict with a DE class, etc. For Friday, Nov 11, only:
o N1: 9:30-10:30 a.m.
o Parade: 10:30 a.m. - 12:15 p.m.
o Advisory and Lunch: 12:19 p.m. - 1:41 p.m. (reg. time)
o N2: 1:41 p.m. - 2:34 p.m.
o N3: 2:39 p.m. - 3:32 p.m.
o N4: 3:37 p.m. - 4:30 p.m.
· Seniors! Time to order Senior vs. Faculty Football Shirts is here! Please visit this link and submit your shirt request by Friday. Please be cautious of what you use as your “name” on the back of your shirts as it represents our school, and feel free to contact Abbey Morgan (firstname.lastname@example.org) if you have any questions.
· As we approach the winter season, warm clothing–specifically hats, socks, and coats–becomes even more important for those in need to help them fight the increasingly cold weather. If you have any of the aforementioned items in new or gently used condition, please drop them off at the marked “Coats for the Cold” bin in the front office. Any donations would be greatly appreciated. If you have any questions or comments regarding “Coats for the Cold,” please eMail email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org.
· Pick up your prize from Fruved! Today and Monday, the Get Fruved team will be back in the plaza during lunch to hand out T-shirts, scarves, and other prizes from those who turned in their consent forms. You can still turn one in at the table and receive a prize! Just stop by either day during your lunch to pick it up! Don't miss out!!!
· A math student needs your help! Please take a moment to answer this brief survey to help her gather data: https://docs.google.com/a/knoxschools.org/forms/d/1u6DuA9yOQB4tmssPjkdx5D8dulBgqOEonfSJdHCukYI/viewform?edit_requested=true
· Congratulations to Cameron Johnson for continuing the tradition – for the 3rd year in a row, an L&N student has won the Oak Ridge National Lab’s Veterans’ Video challenge! Cameron and his guests will receive a check, lunch, and guided tour of some of ORNL’s facilities (like the high flux reactor) at a ceremony on Friday. Way to go Cameron!
· Yearbook is looking for your baby pictures! If you have any pictures of yourself as a small child, please bring the physical copies in to Ms. Brown (you can find her in her office). We will return the pictures to you as soon as we can after we have scanned them. Thank you!
· Do you like Christmas? Now is your chance to give the gift of Christmas to children all around the world....just pack a shoebox. The Class of 2019 is sponsoring a service project for this holiday season, so Sophomores look for us this Wednesday during lunch on the plaza to grab your empty shoebox, free pen, and sticker! ****Any STEM student is welcome to build a shoebox!****
· Outlier’s Advantage: Knoxville In-Home Tutoring is hosting a Free Mock ACT on Saturday, November 19. Students will receive their scores before they leave, and they will get to keep their tests for their review. This is open to all Knox County area students. Limited seating is available. Sign up directly from our homepage at www.KnoxvilleTutor.com.
· Beginning in January, Mrs. Philips will offer Men's and Women's Genius Hour Choirs. The ensembles will prepare and perform contemporary music that might include pop, Broadway and modern a capella. There is no cost to participate. An audition will be required and will take place sometime between November 16-22. If interested, complete this form (https://goo.gl/forms/G3xRB6VfPoyTjmFH3) by November 11 and select audition days that work for you. Mrs. Philips will email you a specific audition time before November 16. Questions, email Katie.Philips@knoxschools.org (one "L" in Philips).
· You can support our PTSA by ordering gear from them this month only! See samples in the Media Center, or pass on this link to anyone shopping for you so they can shop online until Nov 28!
· Want to go into a STEM profession? Want to travel the world? Does going to places like Spain and Germany sound appealing to you? The Gryphon Global Studies Program is proud to offer not one, but two different trips to feed your wanderlust! For the first time in the Summer of 2018 we are participating in EF Tour’s Student Leadership Conference. The topic that year is “The Future of Technology” and includes a 12 day tour of Barcelona, Madrid, and Berlin. For those wanting a more relaxed experience, during the Fall of 2018 we are also offering a 9 day tour of Germany and the Alps. For more information please attend our interest meeting on Tuesday, November 15 at 5:30pm in the Commons. We can’t wait to see you there! Questions or concerns, contact email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org. Be sure to follow @GlobalGryphons for more information!
Community & Guidance Ops:
· A student representative from Yale College (New Haven, CT) will be in the Guidance office on Monday, November 21 at 12:15.
Quotes of the day on Veterans’ Day, from Randy Nedugebauer:
While only one day of the year is dedicated solely to honoring our veterans, Americans must never forget the sacrifices that many of our fellow countrymen have made to defend our country and protect our freedoms.
Practice L&N Habits every day: Professionalism, Critical Thinking, Collaboration, Innovation, Inquiry, & Design
L&N STEM Academy – TN’s First Apple School of Distinction, US News & World Report Gold Medal 2016, Newsweek’s Top 500 “Beating the Odds” school