GRYPHON MISSION BRIEFING
For Thursday, November 3, 2016 – “L” day
L&N Student Mission – #Own it!
· Note – Worlds Fair Park Drive will have one lane closed during afternoon pick up time on Friday to set up for this weekend’s Chili Cook-off. Please arrange an alternate location if you are picked up. Traffic will not be allowed to park in front of Holiday Inn to wait for you.
· Remember last week when you voted for President in Advisory? In our school, Hillary Clinton “won” with 40.8% of the vote (458 votes cast) vs Trump’s 32.8%. Well, now the results are in for the whole state of TN student mock election – across the state 165,968 votes were cast by students and if students decided the election, TN voted 53.1% for Donald Trump and 34.3% for Hillary Clinton. What do you think of those results?
· Gryphons are lucky people – congratulations to Rachel Magers, who won Erie Insurance’s recent contest at JointheShift.org for student drivers! She entered through our Driver’s Ed classes and won a $100 Amazon gift card. Woot woot!
· Congrats to our Cross Country teams! The boys placed 4th in the Regional tournament this last week and several runners performed to qualify for the State Cross Country Championships to be held in Brentwood, TN next Saturday, Nov 5. Go Gryphons!
· Teens for Christ meets Monday mornings at 8:45 in room D113. Come join us!
· You can support our PTSA by ordering gear from them this month only! See samples in the Media Center, or pass on this link to anyone shopping for you so they can shop online until Nov 28!
· Students – interested in track this spring? Take a minute and fill out this quick survey indicating your interest. Thank you.
· Plan to attend the annual Senior v. Faculty flag football game, which is scheduled for Monday, November 21, from 3:30–4:30 p.m. on the lawn at World’s Fair Park! If you are a senior interested in participating, please complete the following form: https://goo.gl/forms/jj60ZT6KjQkrynxe2. Please contact email@example.com with questions or for more information regarding the flag football game.
· Want to go into a STEM profession? Want to travel the world? Does going to places like Spain and Germany sound appealing to you? The Gryphon Global Studies Program is proud to offer not one, but two different trips to feed your wanderlust! For the first time in the Summer of 2018 we are participating in EF Tour’s Student Leadership Conference. The topic that year is “The Future of Technology” and includes a 12 day tour of Barcelona, Madrid, and Berlin. For those wanting a more relaxed experience, during the Fall of 2018 we are also offering a 9 day tour of Germany and the Alps. For more information please attend our interest meeting on Tuesday, November 15 at 5:30pm in the Commons. We can’t wait to see you there! Questions or concerns, contact firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com. Be sure to follow @GlobalGryphons for more information!
· UPDATE: Yearbooks are on sale! Make sure to stop by the office and pick up an order form, or go to www.jostens.com to order yours today. Yearbooks are $60 for a limited time only, so make sure to order yours as soon as possible before the price goes up. Make sure to follow @STEMYB on Twitter to stay up-to-date on yearbook prices and updates throughout the year.
Community & Guidance Ops:
· Women in Engineering: The University of Dayton (Ohio) sponsors an overnight event for female juniors and seniors on November 11. Parents can also attend a related program. More information is at go.udayton.edu/exploreengineering or in the Guidance office.
· Lincoln Memorial University Open House: LMU in Harrogate, TN is having an Open House on November 12, particularly showcasing their fine arts programs. Students and parents are welcome. More information is at lmunet.edu or in the Guidance office.
· Architecture Explorer Post: If you are interested in design and architecture, consider joining the Explorer Post sponsored by the East TN chapter of the American Institute of Architects. More information is in the Guidance office.
Quote of the day from Eleanor Roosevelt:
In the long run, we shape our lives, and we shape ourselves. The process never ends until we die. And the choices we make are ultimately our own responsibility.
Practice L&N Habits every day: Professionalism, Critical Thinking, Collaboration, Innovation, Inquiry, & Design
L&N STEM Academy – TN’s First Apple School of Distinction, US News & World Report Gold Medal 2016, Newsweek’s Top 500 “Beating the Odds” school