GRYPHON MISSION BRIEFING
For Wednesday, November 16, 2016 – “N” day
L&N Student Mission – #Own it!
· The application for second semester Genius Hour Choirs has been extended through Friday (11/18) at midnight. Don't miss this opportunity to sing some fun music! Email Katie Philips (with one "L") for more information. Apply here: https://goo.gl/forms/wPS7UynYTzzetO6W2
· This week is Knox County “Thank a Teacher Week.” We hope you’ll participate by letting your teachers know how they have impacted your life. You can share it with the system by using their Social Media tags: (Twitter: #ThankaTeacherKnox; or email your “thank you teacher” story straight to: ThankaTeacher@greatschoolspartnership.com). All this week!
· Seniors! Time to order Senior vs. Faculty Football Shirts is here! Please visit this link and submit your shirt request by Friday. Please be cautious of what you use as your “name” on the back of your shirts as it represents our school, and feel free to contact Abbey Morgan (firstname.lastname@example.org) if you have any questions.
· As we approach the winter season, warm clothing–specifically hats, socks, and coats–becomes even more important for those in need to help them fight the increasingly cold weather. If you have any of the aforementioned items in new or gently used condition, please drop them off at the marked “Coats for the Cold” bin in the front office. Any donations would be greatly appreciated. If you have any questions or comments regarding “Coats for the Cold,” please eMail email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org.
· Yearbook is looking for your baby pictures! If you have any pictures of yourself as a small child, please bring the physical copies in to Ms. Brown (you can find her in her office). We will return the pictures to you as soon as we can after we have scanned them. Thank you!
· Outlier’s Advantage: Knoxville In-Home Tutoring is hosting a Free Mock ACT this Saturday, November 19. Students will receive their scores before they leave, and they will get to keep their tests for their review. This is open to all Knox County area students. Limited seating is available. Sign up directly from our homepage at www.KnoxvilleTutor.com.
· You can support our PTSA by ordering gear from them this month only! See samples in the Media Center, or pass on this link to anyone shopping for you so they can shop online until Nov 28!
Community & Guidance Ops:
· A student representative from Yale College (New Haven, CT) will be in the Guidance office on Monday, November 21 at 12:15.
· From your counselors: Sometimes it’s just not possible to sort through tough times alone. Problems can build up and you may lose sleep or find it hard to concentrate on your school work. When you need to talk to someone, your school counselor can be a great place to start.
School counselors are trained to take your problem seriously, listen, and help — it doesn’t have to be just about school stuff. A counselor can help you deal with the sadness of when someone has died as well as advise you on taking the right classes to get into your dream college.
Please remember to first check in with your teacher before going to the school counseling office if you are having an emergency. If you would like to have a meeting about a non-urgent matter, email your school counselor to set up a time that works for both of you. Know that you always have a safe place to talk, draw, or just have someone sit quietly near you while you process on your own.
Quote of the day from Michael Jordan:
I’ve missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I’ve lost almost 300 games. 26 times, I’ve been trusted to take the game-winning shot and missed. I’ve failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed.
Practice L&N Habits every day: Professionalism, Critical Thinking, Collaboration, Innovation, Inquiry, & Design
L&N STEM Academy – TN’s First Apple School of Distinction, US News & World Report Gold Medal 2016, Newsweek’s Top 500 “Beating the Odds” school