GRYPHON MISSION BRIEFING
For Monday, February 13, 2017 – “M” day
L&N Student Mission – #Own it!
Early Release Schedule
· BIG congrats to our STEM swim & dive team, which finished 4th place in the High School State Swim and Dive Championships (TISCA). There were over 100 teams represented at the meet.
L&N STEM State Champions:
o Jacob Siler - Men’s 1M Diving - Diver of the Year!
o Alex Hines – Men’s 200 Individual Medley and 100 Breaststroke
o Emily Bretscher – Women’s 1M Diving - Diver of the Year!
Other STEM state Finalists: Nick Cassell, Eddie Ceausu, Mike Cho, Daniel Eshleman, Sydney Goodman, Macy Hudson, Ethan Marsh, Abigail Rumpp , Ethan Sanders, and Lindsey Sanders. Way to go Gryphons! See the team (most of them) picture below!
· Remember – our Showcase got moved to tonight (Monday, 6:00 – 8:00 p.m.) from last Thursday. If a teacher had asked you to do something for a class – be sure to let them know if you cannot make it tonight. Then, invite your parents and friends to come out and see what is going on at the L&N!
· Are you interested in math? Mu Alpha Theta is hosting part three of a math competition at 3:30 PM today (Monday) in Room 207. This part of the competition simply entails a test on general math concepts and should only take about 45 minutes.
· Congrats to Junior, Ben Boney who just learned he was accepted to the Governor’s School of the Arts for this summer! Yeah, Ben!
· Girls – our school is taking a field trip to the "Introducing a Girl to Engineering" conference in Oak Ridge on Thursday February 23rd leaving around 11 and returning before the busses at 4:30. Only cost to participate is your lunch. Any girls that are interested just need to see or contact either Mrs. Signore or Mrs. Pariseau.
· The Gryphon Bookstore's hottest new item is an insulated travel mug. These stainless steel tumblers keep hot drinks hot and cold drinks cold.
Limited Supply - $9.00
· The yearbook still needs your baby pictures! Bring the hard copies into Ms. Brown as soon as possible and we will return them to you as soon as we’re done copying them. You can email the digital copies to firstname.lastname@example.org or upload them to the ReplayIt app. Thank you for your help
· Congratulations to Emma Fox (violin), Marcus Lee (bassoon), Connor McGinley (violin), Elliott Mills (violin), and Nick Brison (horn) for representing L&N at the All-State East Band & Orchestra clinic in Gatlinburg! Excellent concert performances by all of these students!
· Congratulations to this year's Ethics Bowl team for taking 2nd place in the 2017 Tennessee High School Ethics Bowl hosted by the UT Philosophy Department and UT Humanities Center this past Saturday! In a field of 13 teams, including Father Ryan of Nashville and Oakland High of Murfreesboro, L&N's team, consisting of Sonaz Jazny, Patrick Juhl, Alex Seaver, Connor Shields, Witt Spiller, and Bryce Lane, defeated Sequoyah, Pigeon Forge, West High, and Webb School to reach the championship. In the final match, the six judges reached a split decision and in the total points tie-breaker STEM narrowly missed victory 248 to 245. Considering that only one member of the team had any experience in Ethics Bowl, and only one senior, this was a very impressive performance by the Gryphons! L&N has now finished either 1st or 2nd in this event each of the last three years. Way to go team!
· Come join the fun at Open Mic Night on February 17th from 6pm- 9pm. The SGA encourages everyone to come out and support your peers as they perform. If you would like to sign up to perform, here is a link: http://www.signupgenius.com/go/30e0f49adac2ba7ff2-open. UPDATE: Everyone who wants perform needs to sign up by February 10th. Admission is free and you can buy treats to support the SGA! Hope to see you there!
· We are in the last month of yearbook sales! You have until Friday, February 24th to order yours for $70- after that, we MAY have a limited number of copies available for purchase on distribution day for $80, but order yours ASAP to make sure you get a copy!
Community & Guidance Ops:
· Students who received an invitation from the guidance office are reminded that the PSAT pipeline meetings will be tonight, Monday, in the STEM space. Current 9th graders and parents will meet from 6:00 – 6:45 and current 10th graders from 7:00 – 7:45. You can go to the other meeting if you are unavailable during your assigned time.
· Girls – you are invited to expand your understanding of a career in Engineering at the 2nd Biennial WomEngineers Day at UT campus on April 22. Check out details and register (for free) at http://womengineersday.org .
Quote of the day from Milton Berle (comedian):
If opportunity doesn’t knock, build a door.
Practice L&N Habits every day: Professionalism, Critical Thinking, Collaboration, Innovation, Inquiry, & Design
L&N STEM Academy – TN’s First Apple School of Distinction, US News & World Report Gold Medal 2016, Newsweek’s Top 500 “Beating the Odds” school
|L&N Swim/Dive Team - 4th place in State Swimming & Diving Championships 2017!|