GRYPHON MISSION BRIEFING
For Friday, February 24, 2017 – “N” day
L&N Student Mission – #Own it!
· We know the weather seems to be turning off warm – please save your short shorts and cold shoulder tops for spring break! This is a reminder that all shorts (boys & girls) should come at least to the tips of your fingers when placed at your side. And there should be no bare midriffs, backs, or shoulders with straps smaller than 3 fingers wide. Let’s keep it covered up, folks. When you get dressed – think – would I want to see a teacher wearing this to teach me? If the answer is “no” – your teachers don’t need to see you wearing it to learn in their classes! We have plenty of disposable scrub suits waiting to be worn by those who choose to dress inappropriately!
· Today (Friday) is THE LAST DAY to purchase a 2016-17 yearbook for $75. Stop by the office and fill out an order form as soon as possible or order one from www.jostensyearbooks.com. There will be a limited number of copies available on distribution day for $80 each, but don’t rely on this! Order your yearbook before today ends to save $5!
· Good luck to our two Science Olympiad teams who will be competing this weekend in the regional meet! Go get ‘em Gryphons!
· Be here this weekend for STEM Around the World! It is an amazing event where you can come and explore the continents and try their food! This is all going on February 25th, from noon – 4:00 p.m. Passports are $5 to explore all the countries. Food will also be for sale. Help is still needed to help set up – Friday after school. Meet in the Commons.
· Today is the LAST DAY to buy L&N section tickets to Saturday's Knoxville Ice Bear's hockey game. Stop by the office to purchase your discounted tickets anytime or we will be selling on the plaza on Friday. $14 dollar ticket includes voucher for a FREE HAT. Half time entertainment at the game is BABY RACES! Hope to see lots of students there!
· The L&N STEM PTSA is having a T-shirt design contest and we need lots of entries.... there's a $50 prize for the winning shirt design!...plus a free T-shirt! T-shirt will be screen printed in 2 colors (max) on a color shirt and have the L&N school crest on the front left chest. The design will be featured on the back of the shirt. Design should be something that represents our school or its culture. The shirts with the winning design will be made available to our current STEM family as well as incoming freshmen this Spring.
Artists may submit their entries in color to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please include your name, a brief artist's statement, your suggested shirt color and two ink colors (black and white count when on a color shirt). Submissions must be received no later than 11:59 pm, Monday, March 6. Winner will be chosen by the PTSA board of managers.
· Students – thanks for the great talent on display at Open Mic night last Friday! Knox County CTE holds a systemwide competition called “CTE Goes Live” in May. It is held in front of a live audience on Market Square. We need to select our representative from the L&N. To be considered, you need to upload a video of you singing – has to be individuals (no groups) singing (no instrumentals only) – then send Mrs. Ashe the link to your video. We will send out a ballot and vote in Advisory on Friday, March 3.
· What do Anne Hathaway, Barack Obama, Usher, Walter Payton and Tim Childers have in common? They sang in their high school choir! Any students interested in participating in a choir at L&N for the 2017-2018 school year should fill out this form to be added to an email list by February 28. https://goo.gl/forms/8ZCbp7Qz9kDz6zZG3 Auditions for Ensemble will be in March.
Community & Guidance Ops:
· The deadline to apply for the Y-12 FCU Bill T Hicks Scholarship is only a week away (March 1st). There are brochures and applications available in the guidance office, at the credit union pod (when our bank is open), andin the front office. The scholarship is $1000. To be eligible to apply, students must be a member of Y-12 (membership applications available at the bank on Friday in case any last minute students want to open an account to apply), have at least a 2.5 gpa, and must have been accepted to an accredited 2 or 4 year college. Applications can be given directly to bank personnel, sent via email, or mailed to the credit union. We will accept all that have been postmarked by March 1st.
· All graduating L&N seniors are encouraged to apply for the Merlin Scholarship and the The Rebekah Ellis Honorary Scholarship for Service each worth $1,000. One winner for each will be selected and announced at the awards night in April. All submissions must be received no later than 5:00 p.m., Friday, April 7. Follow this link to learn more about the scholarships, essay prompts and to apply.
· Little Systers: An Event for High School Girls
Event Date: Saturday, February 25th, 2017 - 10am - 4pm
Location: Dept. of Electrical Engineering & Computer Science, Min Kao Building, University of Tennessee, Knoxville
Little Systers is a free event for high school girls (9th through 12th grade) to learn the basics about Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering, and Computer Science; opportunities you could have with these degrees; and how to be successful as a woman in engineering. During this event participants will attend many different sessions, lunch will be provided for participants, no experience is required, and it is completely free. This event will inform and inspire high school girls about possibilities for their future! Find out more by clicking here.
Quote of the day from Mahatma Gandhi:
As human beings, our greatness lies not so much in being able to remake the world – as in being able to remake ourselves.
Practice L&N Habits every day: Professionalism, Critical Thinking, Collaboration, Innovation, Inquiry, & Design
L&N STEM Academy – TN’s First Apple School of Distinction, US News & World Report Gold Medal 2016, Newsweek’s Top 500 “Beating the Odds” school