GRYPHON MISSION BRIEFING
For Monday, February 27, 2017 – “M” day
L&N Student Mission – #Own it!
EARLY RELEASE SCHEDULE
· FRUVED Meeting Monday 2/27/17 in STEM Space at 3:30.
Come be a part of this new student club.
FRUVED Mission : What is Fruved?! We’re glad you asked! We are a USDA grant-funded project at 4 universities across the country (University of Tennessee, University of Florida, West Virginia University, South Dakota State University). Our study’s goal is help students manage their weight and live healthier by focusing on three specific areas:
Improving dietary intake
Increasing physical activity
Improving overall stress management skills
http://fruved.com/ Questions- ask Dr. Bretscher
· Students - Knox County CTE holds a systemwide competition called “CTE Goes Live” in May. It is held in front of a live audience on Market Square. We need to select our representative from the L&N. To be considered, you need to upload a video of you singing – has to be individuals (no groups) singing (no instrumentals only) – then send Mrs. Ashe the link to your video. We will send out a ballot and vote in Advisory on Friday, March 3.
· One of our advisory classes really needs your help in an upcoming hygiene product drive in our school. For the next two weeks (February 27th through March 9th), we will be collecting items to be donated to KARM Ministries. Items that are needed include things that you would use on a daily basis: deodorant, tooth paste, tooth brushes, bar soap, body wash, conditioner, shampoo, feminine products (tampons and pads), lotion, etc. Please remember that the items you donate need to be new and unused. Travel sizes and family sizes are both needed. Any and all donations should be dropped off in the library. So next time you are at the store, try and pick up a couple of items off this list, and help someone in our community that is in need. Thank you, in advance, for your corporation in this project.
· We know the weather seems to be turning off warm – please save your short shorts and cold shoulder tops for spring break! This is a reminder that all shorts (boys & girls) should come at least to the tips of your fingers when placed at your side. And there should be no bare midriffs, backs, or shoulders with straps smaller than 3 fingers wide. Let’s keep it covered up, folks. When you get dressed – think – would I want to see a teacher wearing this to teach me? If the answer is “no” – your teachers don’t need to see you wearing it to learn in their classes! We have plenty of disposable scrub suits waiting to be worn by those who choose to dress inappropriately!
· The L&N STEM PTSA is having a T-shirt design contest and we need lots of entries.... there's a $50 prize for the winning shirt design!...plus a free T-shirt! T-shirt will be screen printed in 2 colors (max) on a color shirt and have the L&N school crest on the front left chest. The design will be featured on the back of the shirt. Design should be something that represents our school or its culture. The shirts with the winning design will be made available to our current STEM family as well as incoming freshmen this Spring.
Artists may submit their entries in color to email@example.com.
Please include your name, a brief artist's statement, your suggested shirt color and two ink colors (black and white count when on a color shirt). Submissions must be received no later than 11:59 pm, Monday, March 6. Winner will be chosen by the PTSA board of managers.
· What do Anne Hathaway, Barack Obama, Usher, Walter Payton and Tim Childers have in common? They sang in their high school choir! Any students interested in participating in a choir at L&N for the 2017-2018 school year should fill out this form to be added to an email list by February 28. https://goo.gl/forms/8ZCbp7Qz9kDz6zZG3 Auditions for Ensemble will be in March.
Community & Guidance Ops:
· The deadline to apply for the Y-12 FCU Bill T Hicks Scholarship is only a week away (March 1st). There are brochures and applications available in the guidance office, at the credit union pod (when our bank is open), andin the front office. The scholarship is $1000. To be eligible to apply, students must be a member of Y-12 (membership applications available at the bank on Friday in case any last minute students want to open an account to apply), have at least a 2.5 gpa, and must have been accepted to an accredited 2 or 4 year college. Applications can be given directly to bank personnel, sent via email, or mailed to the credit union. We will accept all that have been postmarked by March 1st.
· All graduating L&N seniors are encouraged to apply for the Merlin Scholarship and the The Rebekah Ellis Honorary Scholarship for Service each worth $1,000. One winner for each will be selected and announced at the awards night in April. All submissions must be received no later than 5:00 p.m., Friday, April 7. Follow this link to learn more about the scholarships, essay prompts and to apply.
Quote of the day from Viola Davis’ Oscar acceptance speech for Best Supporting Actress in Fences, 2017:
The single place with the greatest collection of people and potential is a graveyard.
Which means - chase your dreams and make them reality because if not, you take all your potential to the grave and no one benefits!
Practice L&N Habits every day: Professionalism, Critical Thinking, Collaboration, Innovation, Inquiry, & Design
L&N STEM Academy – TN’s First Apple School of Distinction, US News & World Report Gold Medal 2016, Newsweek’s Top 500 “Beating the Odds” school