GRYPHON MISSION BRIEFING
For Thursday, February 2, 2017 – “L” day
L&N Student Mission – #Own it!
· Thank you to all of those who participated in World Hijab Day. If you borrowed a scarf, please return in to the box at the Front Office to be returned to it's owner. Thank you again for an amazing display of empathy and support.
· Come join the fun at Open Mic Night on February 17th from 6pm- 9pm. The SGA encourages everyone to come out and support your peers as they perform. If you would like to sign up to perform, here is a link: http://www.signupgenius.com/go/30e0f49adac2ba7ff2-open. UPDATE: Everyone who wants perform needs to sign up by February 10th. Admission if free and you can buy treats to support the SGA! Hope to see you there!
· We are in the last month of yearbook sales! You have until Friday, February 24th to order yours for $70- after that, we MAY have a limited number of copies available for purchase on distribution day for $80, but order yours ASAP to make sure you get a copy!
· Get Involved with FRUVED - Be an Advocate for Healthy Living!
Goals of FRUVED:
*Improve Dietary Intake
*Increase Physical Activity
*Improve Overall Stress Management Skills
Come by and see FRUVED during lunch - Monday, January 31st/ February 6th on the Plaza! Get involved in Research, Event Planning, Social Media and Culinary Arts events at STEM.
FRUVED INFORMATIONAL MEETINGS:
o Wednesday February 1st 8:45 - 9:00 in the STEM Space
o Monday February 6th 3:30 - PE room
o Questions ask Dr. Bretscher
· Those Gryphons just keep on achieving! Here are the winners from Friday’s TSA Regional competition:
o 1st - Debating Technological Issues, Hyatt Christenberry and Haley Folsom
o 1st - Extemporaneous Speech--Hyatt Christenberry
o 1st - Prepared Presentation--Nicholas Duncan
o 1st - Promotional Design--Lauren Tenpenny
o 1st - Structural and Engineering Design--Will Duncan and Killian Gunn
o 2nd - Extemporaneous Speech--Natalie Duncan
o 2nd - Biotechnology Design--Samantha Foley, Molly Erickson, and Macy Leek
o 2nd - Engineering Design--Elijah Erwin, Brooke Foster, Killian Gunn, and Turner Rogers
o 2nd - Photographic Technology--Lauren Tenpenny
o 2nd - Chapter Team--Chapter Team 2: Alyssa Ard, Emily Bretscher, Natalie Duncan, Haley Folsom, Brooke Foster, and Christina Varnes
o 3rd - Chapter Team--Chapter Team 1: Laura Bretscher, Lucy Drinnen, Nick Duncan, Taylor Flores, Kendyl Nicely, AJ Thayer
· Big congrats go out to our swimmers and divers! This weekend, STEM Gryphons Swim/Dive Team ended up 2nd in KISL City Meet!
KISL Individual Winners:
o Emily Bretscher - 1 Meter Diving - City Meet Record
o Alex Hines - 200 Breast - City Meet Record & 200 IM - City Meet Record
o Ethan Sanders - 200 Free & 500 Free
o Jacob Siler - 1 Meter Diving
Macy Hudson, Abigail Rump, Lindsey Sanders, Kendall Goodman, Brooke Foster, Erin Victorson, Delaney Martin, Sydney Goodman, Ethan Marsh, Andrew Hines, Marcus Lee, Daniel Eshleman, Eddie Ceausu, Mike Cho, Nick Cassell, Nathan Cooley, James DeFreese
Swimmers and Divers who qualified for the State Meet will compete February 10th & 11th at UT.
· The SGA Snow Ball is this weekend! This year's Winter Formal will be on Saturday, February 4th from 7-10pm in the Commons. Tickets will be sold in the Commons this week only, $8 for singles and $14 for doubles. Students are invited to wear formal attire and enjoy an evening in a Winter Wonderland.
· Water Polo interest meeting, Monday, Feb 6, 3:30 p.m. in room 207.
· Prom Tickets are still on sale! Tickets are sold during all lunches on Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday. You can also see Mrs. Brown.
Community & Guidance Ops:
· Seniors: Did you see this tweet sent by our counselors over the weekend from Fastweb Scholarships? Click here to enter to win a $3k scholarship: ow.ly/wn2o307WPRU
Quote of the day from Dr. Patricia E. Bath, the first African-American female doctor to patent a medical invention:
Remember that the limits of science are not the limits of imagination.
Practice L&N Habits every day: Professionalism, Critical Thinking, Collaboration, Innovation, Inquiry, & Design
L&N STEM Academy – TN’s First Apple School of Distinction, US News & World Report Gold Medal 2016, Newsweek’s Top 500 “Beating the Odds” school
|Mrs. Philips (left), STEM female singers, and Avi Kaplan (bass singer for Pentatonix) at a capella clinic|