GRYPHON MISSION BRIEFING
For Wednesday, February 15, 2017 – “N” day
L&N Student Mission – #Own it!
· Come on out to February's SOPHMORE CLASS Social @ the Knoxville Ice Bears game on Saturday, February 25th at 7:30pm. We have been able to reserve an L&N section of seating, tickets will be sold starting tomorrow for $14. Ticket price includes a voucher for free hat! Please see a Sophomore class board member to get more information!
· Come join the fun at Open Mic Night on February 17th from 6pm- 9pm. The SGA encourages everyone to come out and support your peers as they perform. Admission is free and you can buy treats to support the SGA! Hope to see you there!
· And MORE Gryphons are headed to Governor’s Schools this summer. Shout outs and congrats to:
o Lucy Drinnen (film), joining Trinity Terry and Ben Boney at the Governor’s School for the Arts, and
o Christina Varnes – Governors School for the Arts in Music
o Anna Ward for getting into the Governor’s School for Scientific Exploration of TN Heritage and
o Nick Duncan accepted for the Governor’s School for Computational Physics!
Let us hear from you when you get your acceptance letters, please!
· Blind Date with a Book is back! (Wednesday 2/15 to Tuesday 2/21)
Whether you had the perfect Valentine's Day or not, visit our school library for another opportunity to fall in love! Seriously, don't judge a book by its cover. Select a wrapped book by reading the personal ads attached to it. Stop by the library to see if you'll be lucky in love!
· What do Anne Hathaway, Barack Obama, Usher, Walter Payton and Tim Childers have in common? They sang in their high school choir! Any students interested in participating in a choir at L&N for the 2017-2018 school year should fill out this form to be added to an email list by February 28. https://goo.gl/forms/8ZCbp7Qz9kDz6zZG3 Auditions for Ensemble will be in March.
· BIG congrats to our STEM swim & dive team, which finished 4th place in the High School State Swim and Dive Championships (TISCA). There were over 100 teams represented at the meet.
L&N STEM State Champions:
o Jacob Siler - Men’s 1M Diving - Diver of the Year!
o Alex Hines – Men’s 200 Individual Medley and 100 Breaststroke
o Emily Bretscher – Women’s 1M Diving - Diver of the Year!
Other STEM state Finalists: Nick Cassell, Eddie Ceausu, Mike Cho, Daniel Eshleman, Sydney Goodman, Macy Hudson, Ethan Marsh, Abigail Rumpp , Ethan Sanders, and Lindsey Sanders. Way to go Gryphons! See the team (most of them) picture below!
· Girls – our school is taking a field trip to the "Introducing a Girl to Engineering" conference in Oak Ridge on Thursday February 23rd leaving around 11 and returning before the busses at 4:30. Only cost to participate is your lunch. Any girls that are interested just need to see or contact either Mrs. Signore or Mrs. Pariseau.
· The Gryphon Bookstore's hottest new item is an insulated travel mug. These stainless steel tumblers keep hot drinks hot and cold drinks cold.
Limited Supply - $9.00
· The yearbook still needs your baby pictures! Bring the hard copies into Ms. Brown as soon as possible and we will return them to you as soon as we’re done copying them. You can email the digital copies to firstname.lastname@example.org or upload them to the ReplayIt app. Thank you for your help
· We are in the last month of yearbook sales! You have until Friday, February 24th to order yours for $70- after that, we MAY have a limited number of copies available for purchase on distribution day for $80, but order yours ASAP to make sure you get a copy!
Community & Guidance Ops:
· Girls – you are invited to expand your understanding of a career in Engineering at the 2nd Biennial WomEngineers Day at UT campus on April 22. Check out details and register (for free) at http://womengineersday.org .
Quote of the day from Les Brown:
Accept responsibility for your life. Know that it is you who will get you where you want to go, no one else.
Practice L&N Habits every day: Professionalism, Critical Thinking, Collaboration, Innovation, Inquiry, & Design
L&N STEM Academy – TN’s First Apple School of Distinction, US News & World Report Gold Medal 2016, Newsweek’s Top 500 “Beating the Odds” school