For Thursday, January 10, 2013
"L" Schedule Day
· Students interested in being a morning announcer for the Pledge and moment of silence, please respond to Mrs. Ashe by email. Students will be assigned one week each to do the announcements, beginning next week.
· Learning Lab continues this week tomorrow and Friday morning. Beginning next week, 1/15, the Depot upstairs will be open from 8:00 – 9:15 for tutoring or make up work every day Tuesday – Friday for the rest of the semester.
· Students who arrive on campus before 8:00 a.m.: Beginning today (Thursday) you will need to come around to the front office door to come in the building. The chains will still be on the staircase coming from the World’s Fair site and the Verandah door will be locked until 8:00 a.m.
· Congratulations to the L&N STEM Students who won in the Knox County Schools PTA Reflections Contests:
o Anna Tenpenny (Photography)
o Ryan Flint (Musical Composition)
o Morgan Abell (Magic of the Moment Video)
o Megan Samples (Dance Choreography)
o Jonathan Glenn (Visual Art)
o Owen Sanders, Allie Lapps, & Ben Croisdale (Safety Multimedia videos)
· Gryphon Studios will be having a special guest speaker TODAY (1/10) from 4:45 PM till 6:00 PM. His name is Stephen Ballast, and he is a local filmmaker who will be showing one of his films, as well as speaking on indie filmmaking. If you are interested, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
· PARENTS PLEASE NOTE: First Semester progress reports will not be distributed at school. They are being mailed to your parents. New enrichment stickers are included in the envelope for those who qualify. We will start validating (looking) for the new Gryphon color on Monday. Early Release Wednesdays will start again on Wed., Feb 6.
· Click here to order a yearbook. Cost will increase to $70 on Feb 1. Order now!
· RSVP to Mr. Smith for Brown Bag chats. Everyone is always invited during lunch (bring yours with you) in the STEM Space in the Depot:
o Jan. 11 - Carl Wheeler, Electrical Engineering, an Electrical Engineer & Adjunct Professor at Pellissippi State CC
· ACT Question of the day http://www.act.org/qotd/
This new feature will be included every day. Click on the link and it will take you to the ACT practice site. Every day there is a different question from different portions of the ACT. Click on the letter of any answer to see if you are correct along with an explanation of why the correct answer is the best. Challenge yourself to see how many you can get right!
· For students interested in law enforcement, the Knoxville Police Department Explorer Program will be holding orientations on January 14th and January 21st at 6:30 pm at 800 Howard Baker Jr. Avenue. Prospective recruits should bring a parent/guardian to one of the orientation sessions. Please visit the following website for more information: http://www.cityofknoxville.org/kpd/explorers.asp
· MTSU Honors College Open House--On Monday, February 18th, MTSU Honors College is hosting an Open House for interested students and parents on MTSU's campus. Please visit the following link for more information.
· The University of Tennessee will once again be hosting the College of Business Administration Business Education for Talented Students (BETS) Program June 13-22, 2013. Interested juniors can obtain more information on the program by visiting the Guidance page of STEM's website and looking under "Resources" at the bottom of the page. Please see Mrs. Salerno if you have any questions.
· Asian Culture & Language Club (ACLC): Wednesday during Enrichment in D223.
· Chess Club meets on Wednesdays from 8:45 to 9:15 a.m. in the media center.
· Gryphon Studios, film club, on Thursday afternoons 4:45 – 6:00 PM, in Room 214 in the Station.
Quote of the day: from Robert K. Cooper
There is a call within every one of us, a call to do something, however unpopular or unnoticed, to make the world a better place.
Practice L&N Habits every day: Collaboration, Critical thinking, Design, Innovation, Inquiry, & Professionalism