For Friday, January 11, 2013
"N" Schedule Day
· There is a Dog Show this weekend at the Convention Center. Please make sure if parents drop you off or pick you up they do not come all the way to the loading dock by the convention center because they have trucks there moving equipment (and dogs) in to the exhibition center. Also – if you cut across the grass behind the Veterans’ Memorial – watch your step! Where do you think they’re taking all those dogs to relieve themselves?!
· Students interested in being a morning announcer for the Pledge and moment of silence, please respond to Mrs. Ashe by email. Students will be assigned one week each to do the announcements, beginning next week.
· Learning Lab continues this week tomorrow and Friday morning. Beginning next week, 1/15, the Depot upstairs will be open from 8:00 – 9:15 for tutoring or make up work every day Tuesday – Friday for the rest of the semester.
· Students who arrive on campus before 8:00 a.m.: Remember you will need to come around to the front office door to come in the building. The chains will still be on the staircase coming from the World’s Fair site and the Verandah door will be locked until 8:00 a.m.
· Model UN will meet Monday, Jan 14 at 8:45 in room 207. Check your emails for further details on the conference to Memphis and the countries we will represent.
· Next prom committee meeting is next Thursday, Jan 17 at 8:45 in room 221. Any sophomore or junior interested is welcome to attend!
· Reminders: Early Release Wednesdays will being on Feb 6. Enrichment stickers for the latest grades are included in your report cards being mailed home. On Tuesday, ALL students must check in with your Advisory teacher. If you earned the latest sticker you will have to show it before being dismissed from Advisory.
· RSVP to Mr. Smith for Brown Bag chats. Everyone is always invited during lunch (bring yours with you) in the STEM Space in the Depot:
o Jan. 11 - Carl Wheeler, Electrical Engineering, an Electrical Engineer & Adjunct Professor at Pellissippi State CC
· ACT Question of the day http://www.act.org/qotd/
This new feature will be included every day. Click on the link and it will take you to the ACT practice site. Every day there is a different question from different portions of the ACT. Click on the letter of any answer to see if you are correct along with an explanation of why the correct answer is the best. Challenge yourself to see how many you can get right!
· For students interested in law enforcement, the Knoxville Police Department Explorer Program will be holding orientations on January 14th and January 21st at 6:30 pm at 800 Howard Baker Jr. Avenue. Prospective recruits should bring a parent/guardian to one of the orientation sessions. Please visit the following website for more information: http://www.cityofknoxville.org/kpd/explorers.asp
· MTSU Honors College Open House--On Monday, February 18th, MTSU Honors College is hosting an Open House for interested students and parents on MTSU's campus. Please visit the following link for more information.
· The University of Tennessee will once again be hosting the College of Business Administration Business Education for Talented Students (BETS) Program June 13-22, 2013. Interested juniors can obtain more information on the program by visiting the Guidance page of STEM's website and looking under "Resources" at the bottom of the page. Please see Mrs. Salerno if you have any questions.
· Asian Culture & Language Club (ACLC): Wednesday during Enrichment in D223.
· Chess Club meets on Wednesdays from 8:45 to 9:15 a.m. in the media center.
· Gryphon Studios, film club, on Thursday afternoons 4:45 – 6:00 PM, in Room 214 in the Station.
Quote of the day: from Mark Twain
Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.