GRYPHON MISSION BRIEFING
For Friday, November 7, 2014
“L” Day Classes
· Lost – grey Camelbak water bottle last seen in the Depot. Please turn in to the office.
· Your 1st period teacher today should have distributed information and an opt-out permission slip for the Veteran’s Day parade next Tuesday. You will walk with your Advisory class to a designated viewing site and return to school in time for lunch. This is not required and you or your parents may opt out of it. Those who do not go will remain supervised in the Commons Area for quiet study. Students will go to 1st period then to the parade. You will return to Genius Hour then 2 – 4th periods. Those with SOSE and DE need to adjust accordingly. A schedule for Tuesday is at the end of this briefing.
· FYI – if you use the pedestrian walkway over Henley St (like to go to the YMCA) it is closed while some work is being done in the area. We haven’t received word how long yet – just be extra cautious if you have to cross Henley St on the ground!
· Morning supervised make-up sessions – come to room 214 (changed from 203) in the Station from 8:00 – 9:15, every Wednesday and Friday morning for quiet study space or to make-up prearranged work for your classes.
· Attention Juniors: You may still register for the December ACT on your own through this Friday. All our vouchers for this test have been given out but we’ll have more for the administration in Jan/Feb.
· STUDENTS NEEDED TO HELP GREAT SMOKY MOUNTAINS NATIONAL PARK on Saturday, November 22nd! Students, recent graduates, and their families are needed to participate in our next Student Volunteer Day! Parent/teacher participation is NOT REQUIRED for college & high school students. Please join us Saturday, November 22 for a bird monitoring project (RSVP for logistics)! There will be more Student Volunteer Day opportunities next spring! ALL INTERESTED PARTICIPANTS MUST RSVP PRIOR TO PARTICIPATION! This is needed to make an accurate count for tools, etc. Once we have received an RSVP, we will add you to our list, and then forward all participants any necessary logistical information about the Volunteer Day.
Please contact Emily Guss ( Emily_Guss@nps.gov , 865-436-1713).
Projects include joining Park Rangers, scientists, and educators in collecting scientific field data such as salamander monitoring, tree identification and mapping, and water quality assessments or participating in a service project such as trail building, stream restoration, and clean-ups. Projects usually last 3-4 hours. These Student Volunteer Days can be counted as community service hours!
All students must have filled out the Volunteer Agreement Form prior to participation! If student is under 18, a parent/guardian must sign the form! These forms only need to be filled out once, even if participating in multiple events. If needed, please request form when contacting for reservation.
· The eLemeNtal Literary Magazine: Access our e-publication here: http://www.lntole.com/featured-student.html Want to be featured or included in the next issue? Next issue’s theme is “Winter Wonderland”. Students are invited to submit their work to email@example.com
· The Knoxville Football Club (soccer) is proud to announce the inaugural “Crush 4K” that will take place this Saturday at Lakeshore Park. The aim of this race is to provide a great opportunity for our players, parents, friends, and the running community of Knoxville to support the Knoxville Football Club in their effort to promote fitness, a healthy lifestyle, and support this non-profit club in their goal of raising funds. For more information go to http://www.knoxvillefootballclub.org/home/837869.html
Quote of the day from Albert Einstein:
Try not to become a person of success, but rather try to become a person of value.
Practice L&N Habits every day: Collaboration, Critical thinking, Design, Innovation, Inquiry, & Professionalism
L&N STEM Academy – TN’s First Apple School of Distinction, 2-time TN Reward School for Performance (2012 – 2014)
Schedule for Veterans Day, Tuesday, Nov 11
9:30 – 10:25 1st block
10:30 meet with Advisories, walk to parade viewing site
12:19 – 1:41 Genius Hour – same schedule as usual
1:41 – 2:36 2nd block
2:41 – 3:36 3rd block
3:41 – 4:30 4th block