GRYPHON MISSION BRIEFING
For Monday, November 24, 2014
“L” Day Classes
· Interested in serving as a facilitator for a student Honor Court? We’ll be staring one in January for infractions like plaigirism, cyberbullying, and excessive tardies. We need sophomores, juniors, and seniors to fill out the application attached before Christmas break and send them to firstname.lastname@example.org . See Mr. LaFollette if you have questions.
· Many congrats to the CodeTN genius hour team led by Mr. Foy. They were one of 5 teams chosen to present their app last night out of 27 teams in the first ever CodeTN Competition. Way to represent!!
· Big congrats to all the PTA Reflections winners that were listed in an email from Mrs. Jorgenson yesterday. Way to represent the art and design in STEM! You can see what they won in the email, but the list of winners includes: Austin Bradley, Laura Bretscher, Haley Gay, Sarah Ali, Kiersten Morris, Cat Long, Niquelle Mase, Emily Chapin, Taylor Martin (twice), Chloe Beth Armstrong, Sam Stair, and Olivia Hudson
· Time to start ordering prom tickets! Order now to get the cheapest rate possible – tickets are $40 per ticket until the end of December. They will be available on Wednesdays during Genius Hour, and they will be sold at the door of the Media Center. In January the cost goes up. Get ‘em now!
· Want to be a published author? Want to discuss your ideas publicly? Submit a paper for the first annual STEMinar: a public forum to be held in February 2015. Write a paper on "Civil Disobedience in Life and Literature," and submit it to Mr. Blevins at email@example.com. Deadline for submissions is December 14th, 11:59 P.M. Ask any English teacher for more information!
· As you know, we’ve hosted many foreign students at the L&N. Here’s your chance to apply to study abroad for either a high school semester/year or summer! Learn more
Our PTSA is selling this vintage-L&N logo t-shirt as well as magnets and tumblers. Please click on the link https://www.dropbox.com/s/o6b7devh9ufbccb/Screenshot%202014-11-18%2010.13.10.png?dl=0 to access the order form. The first order will be placed Dec. 2, and the last order will be placed Dec. 16. If you pay with PayPal, your confirmation must be included on or attached to the order form.
· Morning supervised make-up sessions – come to room 214 in the Station from 8:00 – 9:15, every Wednesday and Friday morning for quiet study space or to make-up prearranged work for your classes. Keep in mind that this grading period ends next Monday, Nov 17!
· JUNIORS ONLY: Students Invited to Apply for the Joint Science Education Project (JSEP) http://www.arcus.org/jsep
The Joint Science Education Project (JSEP) is a National Science Foundation supported science and cultural-exchange summer program for high-school students. The three-week program takes place entirely in Greenland. Participants from the United States, Denmark, and Greenland live and work together while exploring current research and completing their own inquiry-based investigations. The program includes two weeks of extensive field experiences based out of the town of Kangerlussuaq and a final week with a visit to Summit Station, the U.S. research facility located at the top of the Greenland ice sheet. Students observe scientists as they conduct research in a wide variety of fields including biology, geology, climatology, chemistry, and engineering. Students also have significant hands-on experiences in field research under the guidance of professional teachers from the participating nations. JSEP is open to U.S. citizens or permanent residents in the 11th grade at the time of application submittal. Applications from underserved students are encouraged. NSF's Division of Polar Programs covers all participant costs, such as food, transportation, lodging, and instruction for students selected to
participate. For more information, including application materials, go to http://www.arcus.org/jsep. Applications for the JSEP 2015 program will open on November 15, 2014 and close January 9, 2015.
· ALL STUDENTS: Taking the December ACT? Want to increase your score? ACT and Test Prep is available! Cost: free! Where: Room 214 When: 4:30 – 5:30 p.m. Nov 17, 19, 24, Dec 1, 3, 8, and 10 (Mondays and Wednesdays). Email Ms. Norton at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions. Will be repeated with spring test dates!
· The eLemeNtal Literary Magazine: Access our e-publication here: http://www.lntole.com/featured-student.html Want to be featured or included in the next issue? Next issue’s theme is “Winter Wonderland”. Students are invited to submit their work to email@example.com
Quote of the day from Ralph Waldo Emerson:
The only person you are destined to become is the person you decide to be.
Practice L&N Habits every day: Collaboration, Critical thinking, Design, Innovation, Inquiry, & Professionalism
L&N STEM Academy – TN’s First Apple School of Distinction, 2-time TN Reward School for Performance (2012 – 2014)