GRYPHON MISSION BRIEFING
For Monday, November 17, 2014
“L” Day Classes
· Congrats to our swimming and diving Gryphons! They had another great weekend meet where they beat Webb for the first time in school history! Big congratulations to the hard working members of the swimming and diving teams!
· Track athletes: conditioning will be at the Depot, Monday, Wednesday, and Thursday this week from 4:45 – 5:45. Captain’s meeting on Thursday following workout.
· Drivers – tomorrow, Tuesday, Nov 18, there is a big function at lunch at the Foundry. They are requesting our help by not parking in the little lot on the corner of Grand Ave. If you normally park there, please use the lot on Blackstock for that day only. Thank you for helping us be good neighbors.
· From the cafeteria: We now have French Vanilla cappuccino & Hot Chocolate available for purchase!! Just in time for a blast of cold weather! The cost is $1.50 per serving. Please practice patience while we work out the logistics of serving this product. Because our water line access is behind our serving line, our staff must fill the cup for you. Unfortunately, it is a health dept. violation to have anyone other than staff behind the serving line. So, we ask that you come through the line to the register, purchase your drink then bring the cup back to our server. There’s no need to wait in line again. Just come around the outside of the line (as if you’re going to the War Room) and give your cup to any cafeteria staff member. Remember, this product is not part of our standard lunch or breakfast. You must have cash or money on your account in order to purchase it.
· Buy your $3 ticket to the Seniors vs. Faculty football game at lunch! Game is Friday, Nov 21 from 2:40 – 4:25.
· Lost: a cross necklace that is silver toned. Please return to office.
· Mark your calendars now – Thanksgiving menu for lunch in the cafeteria on Thursday, Nov 20 (a week from Thursday). Menu will include turkey & gravy, dressing, ham, rolls, mashed potatoes with gravy, sweet potato casserole, corn, green beans, tossed salad, and pumpkin pie! They will also have pizza and chicken nuggets.
· Morning supervised make-up sessions – come to room 214 in the Station from 8:00 – 9:15, every Wednesday and Friday morning for quiet study space or to make-up prearranged work for your classes. Keep in mind that this grading period ends next Monday, Nov 17!
· ALL STUDENTS: Taking the December ACT? Want to increase your score? ACT and Test Prep is available! Cost: free! Where: Room 214 When: 4:30 – 5:30 p.m. Nov 17, 19, 24, Dec 1, 3, 8, and 10 (Mondays and Wednesdays). Email Ms. Norton at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions. Will be repeated with spring test dates!
· STUDENTS NEEDED TO HELP GREAT SMOKY MOUNTAINS NATIONAL PARK on Saturday, November 22nd! Students, recent graduates, and their families are needed to participate in our next Student Volunteer Day! Parent/teacher participation is NOT REQUIRED for college & high school students. Please join us Saturday, November 22 for a bird monitoring project (RSVP for logistics)! There will be more Student Volunteer Day opportunities next spring! ALL INTERESTED PARTICIPANTS MUST RSVP PRIOR TO PARTICIPATION! This is needed to make an accurate count for tools, etc. Once we have received an RSVP, we will add you to our list, and then forward all participants any necessary logistical information about the Volunteer Day. Please contact Emily Guss ( Emily_Guss@nps.gov , 865-436-1713).
Projects include joining Park Rangers, scientists, and educators in collecting scientific field data such as salamander monitoring, tree identification and mapping, and water quality assessments or participating in a service project such as trail building, stream restoration, and clean-ups. Projects usually last 3-4 hours. These Student Volunteer Days can be counted as community service hours!
All students must have filled out the Volunteer Agreement Form prior to participation! If student is under 18, a parent/guardian must sign the form! These forms only need to be filled out once, even if participating in multiple events. If needed, please request form when contacting for reservation.
· The eLemeNtal Literary Magazine: Access our e-publication here: http://www.lntole.com/featured-student.html Want to be featured or included in the next issue? Next issue’s theme is “Winter Wonderland”. Students are invited to submit their work to email@example.com
Quote of the day from Stephen Covey:
I am not a product of my circumstances. I am a product of my decisions.
Practice L&N Habits every day: Collaboration, Critical thinking, Design, Innovation, Inquiry, & Professionalism
L&N STEM Academy – TN’s First Apple School of Distinction, 2-time TN Reward School for Performance (2012 – 2014)