GRYPHON MISSION BRIEFING
For Tuesday, November 25, 2014
“N” Day Classes
· Track and field athletes – no conditioning this week. We will pick back up Monday, December 1, after school.
· Interested in serving as a facilitator for a student Honor Court? We’ll be staring one in January for infractions like plaigirism, cyberbullying, and excessive tardies. We need sophomores, juniors, and seniors to fill out the application attached before Christmas break and send them to firstname.lastname@example.org . See Mr. LaFollette if you have questions.
· Time to start ordering prom tickets! Order now to get the cheapest rate possible – tickets are $40 per ticket until the end of December. They will be available on Wednesdays during Genius Hour, and they will be sold at the door of the Media Center. In January the cost goes up. Get ‘em now!
· Want to be a published author? Want to discuss your ideas publicly? Submit a paper for the first annual STEMinar: a public forum to be held in February 2015. Write a paper on "Civil Disobedience in Life and Literature," and submit it to Mr. Blevins at email@example.com. Deadline for submissions is December 14th, 11:59 P.M. Ask any English teacher for more information!
Our PTSA is selling this vintage-L&N logo t-shirt as well as magnets and tumblers. Please click on the link https://www.dropbox.com/s/o6b7devh9ufbccb/Screenshot%202014-11-18%2010.13.10.png?dl=0 to access the order form. The first order will be placed Dec. 2, and the last order will be placed Dec. 16. If you pay with PayPal, your confirmation must be included on or attached to the order form.
· JUNIORS ONLY: Students Invited to Apply for the Joint Science Education Project (JSEP) http://www.arcus.org/jsep
The Joint Science Education Project (JSEP) is a National Science Foundation supported science and cultural-exchange summer program for high-school students. The three-week program takes place entirely in Greenland. Participants from the United States, Denmark, and Greenland live and work together while exploring current research and completing their own inquiry-based investigations. The program includes two weeks of extensive field experiences based out of the town of Kangerlussuaq and a final week with a visit to Summit Station, the U.S. research facility located at the top of the Greenland ice sheet. Students observe scientists as they conduct research in a wide variety of fields including biology, geology, climatology, chemistry, and engineering. Students also have significant hands-on experiences in field research under the guidance of professional teachers from the participating nations. JSEP is open to U.S. citizens or permanent residents in the 11th grade at the time of application submittal. Applications from underserved students are encouraged. NSF's Division of Polar Programs covers all participant costs, such as food, transportation, lodging, and instruction for students selected to
participate. For more information, including application materials, go to http://www.arcus.org/jsep. Applications for the JSEP 2015 program will open on November 15, 2014 and close January 9, 2015.
· ALL STUDENTS: Taking the December ACT? Want to increase your score? ACT and Test Prep is available! Cost: free! Where: Room 214 When: 4:30 – 5:30 p.m. Nov 17, 19, 24, Dec 1, 3, 8, and 10 (Mondays and Wednesdays). Email Ms. Norton at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions. Will be repeated with spring test dates!
· The eLemeNtal Literary Magazine: Access our e-publication here: http://www.lntole.com/featured-student.html Want to be featured or included in the next issue? Next issue’s theme is “Winter Wonderland”. Students are invited to submit their work to email@example.com
Quotes of the day to celebrate Thanksgiving:
From: O. Henry
There is one day that is ours. Thanksgiving Day is the one day that is purely American.
From: Oprah Winfrey
Be thankful for what you have; you’ll end up having more. If you concentrate on what you don’t have, you will never, ever have enough.
From: Henry Van Dyke
Gratitude is the inward feeling of kindness received. Thankfulness is the natural impulse to express that feeling. Thanksgiving is the following of that impulse.
Practice L&N Habits every day: Collaboration, Critical thinking, Design, Innovation, Inquiry, & Professionalism
L&N STEM Academy – TN’s First Apple School of Distinction, 2-time TN Reward School for Performance (2012 – 2014)