GRYPHON MISSION BRIEFING
For Wednesday, November 19, 2014
“L” Day Classes
· Congratulations to Brandon Boring, this year’s winner of the Metropolitan Drug Commission’s Community Champions Youth Leadership Award! This is given to a “rising star” in the area of substance abuse prevention who is seen as a teen trailblazer. Way to go Brandon!
· As you know, we’ve hosted many foreign students at the L&N. Here’s your chance to apply to study abroad for either a high school semester/year or summer! Learn more
· Congrats to our swimming and diving Gryphons! They had another great weekend meet where they beat Webb for the first time in school history! Big congratulations to the hard working members of the swimming and diving teams!
· Track athletes: conditioning will be at the Depot, Monday and Wednesday this week from 4:45 – 5:45.
Our PTSA is selling this vintage-L&N logo t-shirt as well as magnets and tumblers. Please click on the link https://www.dropbox.com/s/o6b7devh9ufbccb/Screenshot%202014-11-18%2010.13.10.png?dl=0 to access the order form. The first order will be placed Dec. 2, and the last order will be placed Dec. 16. If you pay with PayPal, your confirmation must be included on or attached to the order form.
· Buy your $3 ticket to the Seniors vs. Faculty football game at lunch! Game is Friday, Nov 21 from 2:40 – 4:25.
· Lost: a cross necklace that is silver toned. Please return to office.
· Mark your calendars now – Thanksgiving menu for lunch in the cafeteria on Thursday, Nov 20 (a week from Thursday). Menu will include turkey & gravy, dressing, ham, rolls, mashed potatoes with gravy, sweet potato casserole, corn, green beans, tossed salad, and pumpkin pie! They will also have pizza and chicken nuggets.
· Morning supervised make-up sessions – come to room 214 in the Station from 8:00 – 9:15, every Wednesday and Friday morning for quiet study space or to make-up prearranged work for your classes. Keep in mind that this grading period ends next Monday, Nov 17!
· ALL STUDENTS: Taking the December ACT? Want to increase your score? ACT and Test Prep is available! Cost: free! Where: Room 214 When: 4:30 – 5:30 p.m. Nov 17, 19, 24, Dec 1, 3, 8, and 10 (Mondays and Wednesdays). Email Ms. Norton at email@example.com with any questions. Will be repeated with spring test dates!
· STUDENTS NEEDED TO HELP GREAT SMOKY MOUNTAINS NATIONAL PARK on THIS Saturday, November 22nd! Students, recent graduates, and their families are needed to participate in our next Student Volunteer Day! Parent/teacher participation is NOT REQUIRED for college & high school students. Please join us Saturday, November 22 for a bird monitoring project (RSVP for logistics)! There will be more Student Volunteer Day opportunities next spring! ALL INTERESTED PARTICIPANTS MUST RSVP PRIOR TO PARTICIPATION! This is needed to make an accurate count for tools, etc. Once we have received an RSVP, we will add you to our list, and then forward all participants any necessary logistical information about the Volunteer Day. Please contact Emily Guss ( Emily_Guss@nps.gov , 865-436-1713).
Projects include joining Park Rangers, scientists, and educators in collecting scientific field data such as salamander monitoring, tree identification and mapping, and water quality assessments or participating in a service project such as trail building, stream restoration, and clean-ups. Projects usually last 3-4 hours. These Student Volunteer Days can be counted as community service hours!
All students must have filled out the Volunteer Agreement Form prior to participation! If student is under 18, a parent/guardian must sign the form! These forms only need to be filled out once, even if participating in multiple events. If needed, please request form when contacting for reservation.
· The eLemeNtal Literary Magazine: Access our e-publication here: http://www.lntole.com/featured-student.html Want to be featured or included in the next issue? Next issue’s theme is “Winter Wonderland”. Students are invited to submit their work to firstname.lastname@example.org
Quote of the day from Vince Lombardi:
Winning isn’t everything, but wanting to win is.
Practice L&N Habits every day: Collaboration, Critical thinking, Design, Innovation, Inquiry, & Professionalism
L&N STEM Academy – TN’s First Apple School of Distinction, 2-time TN Reward School for Performance (2012 – 2014)