GRYPHON MISSION BRIEFING
For Tuesday, November 11, 2014
“N” Day Classes
SPECIAL VETERANS DAY SCHEDULE
· Congrats to students Jack Baldwin and Zachary Medley who were both selected for Junior Clinic Orchestra this year. This is a big deal to be selected from among our region’s finest musicians!
· Our Aquatic Gryphons won their first swim and dive meet of the season this weekend with victories over Catholic and CAK. Swimmers were excellent and divers were undefeated. Next meet is this Sunday at UT Aquatic Center, 2:00 p.m. vs HVA and Webb.
· Mark your calendars now – Thanksgiving menu for lunch in the cafeteria on Thursday, Nov 20 (a week from Thursday). Menu will include turkey & gravy, dressing, ham, rolls, mashed potatoes with gravy, sweet potato casserole, corn, green beans, tossed salad, and pumpkin pie! They will also have pizza and chicken nuggets.
· Don’t forget to watch the weather and dress appropriately for being outside for the Veterans’ Day Parade. You will go to 1st period for an hour then report to your Advisory. You will walk with your Advisory class to a designated viewing site and return to school in time for lunch. This is not required and you or your parents may opt out of it. Those who do not go will remain supervised in the Commons Area for quiet study. Students will go to 1st period then to the parade. You will return to Genius Hour then 2 – 4th periods. Those with SOSE and DE need to adjust accordingly. A schedule for Tuesday is at the end of this briefing.
· FYI – the pedestrian walkway over Henley St is scheduled to be closed for three months. Just please use extra caution when crossing the main thoroughfare!
· Morning supervised make-up sessions – come to room 214 in the Station from 8:00 – 9:15, every Wednesday and Friday morning for quiet study space or to make-up prearranged work for your classes. Keep in mind that this grading period ends next Monday, Nov 17!
· ALL STUDENTS: Taking the December ACT? Want to increase your score? ACT and Test Prep is available! Cost: free! Where: Room 214 When: 4:30 – 5:30 p.m. Nov 17, 19, 24, Dec 1, 3, 8, and 10 (Mondays and Wednesdays). Email Ms. Norton at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions. Will be repeated with spring test dates!
· Attention Sophomores: You’ll be receiving test results from the PLAN test you took in October in your 4th block tomorrow (Tuesday). Please be sure these make it home to parents and then mark your calendars to have your parents come to a test-information night this Thursday, 11/13, from 5:30 – 6:30, in the Commons to learn what the scores tell us. Information also on the Guidance page on our website.
· STUDENTS NEEDED TO HELP GREAT SMOKY MOUNTAINS NATIONAL PARK on Saturday, November 22nd! Students, recent graduates, and their families are needed to participate in our next Student Volunteer Day! Parent/teacher participation is NOT REQUIRED for college & high school students. Please join us Saturday, November 22 for a bird monitoring project (RSVP for logistics)! There will be more Student Volunteer Day opportunities next spring! ALL INTERESTED PARTICIPANTS MUST RSVP PRIOR TO PARTICIPATION! This is needed to make an accurate count for tools, etc. Once we have received an RSVP, we will add you to our list, and then forward all participants any necessary logistical information about the Volunteer Day. Please contact Emily Guss ( Emily_Guss@nps.gov , 865-436-1713).
Projects include joining Park Rangers, scientists, and educators in collecting scientific field data such as salamander monitoring, tree identification and mapping, and water quality assessments or participating in a service project such as trail building, stream restoration, and clean-ups. Projects usually last 3-4 hours. These Student Volunteer Days can be counted as community service hours!
All students must have filled out the Volunteer Agreement Form prior to participation! If student is under 18, a parent/guardian must sign the form! These forms only need to be filled out once, even if participating in multiple events. If needed, please request form when contacting for reservation.
· The eLemeNtal Literary Magazine: Access our e-publication here: http://www.lntole.com/featured-student.html Want to be featured or included in the next issue? Next issue’s theme is “Winter Wonderland”. Students are invited to submit their work to email@example.com
Quote of the day from John Fitzgerald Kennedy:
As we express our gratitude, we must never forget that the highest appreciation is not to utter words, but to live by them.
Practice L&N Habits every day: Collaboration, Critical thinking, Design, Innovation, Inquiry, & Professionalism
L&N STEM Academy – TN’s First Apple School of Distinction, 2-time TN Reward School for Performance (2012 – 2014)
Schedule for Veterans Day, Tuesday, Nov 11
9:30 – 10:25 1st block
10:30 meet with Advisories, walk to parade viewing site
12:19 – 1:41 Genius Hour – same schedule as usual
1:41 – 2:36 2nd block
2:41 – 3:36 3rd block
3:41 – 4:30 4th block
THANK A VETERAN FOR HIS/HER SERVICE TODAY!