GRYPHON MISSION BRIEFING
For Monday, March 2, 2015
“N” Day Classes
· Over our snow break some students were still busy representing the L&N - Five students (Alec Bissell, Bailey Morgan, Kishan Tailor, Jacob Samar, and Jacob Siler) competed in the Tennessee Science Bowl at the Blount County Campus of Pellissippi State Community College last Saturday, 2/28. The team went 5-1 in the preliminary round, qualifying them for the tournament round where they were narrowly defeated by Ravenwood. In their first year of competition, our Science Bowl team placed among the top 30% of teams from across the state!
· Plan on coming tonight to hear about next year’s schedule and give input on potential balanced calendars being looked at by our system for future years. In our Commons Area – bring your parents – 6:00 – 7:30.
· Juniors – don’t forget – ACT in school Tuesday morning. See guidance for details. ONLY those juniors who have not picked up a voucher. If you picked one up, even if you haven’t scheduled your test yet, you will not be able to test on Tuesday.
· Freshmen – its your turn to show us what you know about writing! Wednesday and Thursday we will be administering the MIST Writing Assessment to all Freshmen. See schedule at bottom of announcements.
· Gryphon Aquatics finished 7th place at The Tennessee High School State Swim Meet (TISCA)on February 13 - 14th. L& N STEM was the second highest finishing Knox County school! There were 120 high school teams from all over Tennessee. L&N STEM had 4 individual State Champions!!!! - James Bretscher was a double winner winning 100 fly and 100 back. L&N STEM won both the men’s and women’s diving titles -Emily Bretscher won 1 meter diving and Jacob Siler won 1 meter diving. Other top finalists were Alli Lapps 2nd in 100 back, Paul Bretscher 4th in 1 meter diving, Cole Patrick 8th in 1 meter diving. Way to go team!!
· Attention juniors and seniors: there's only two weeks to purchase prom tickets. They are $50 for singles, and $90 for couples. The tickets can be purchased during all lunches on Wednesday and on early release Fridays. You only have until March 6 to buy both your prom ticket and pay your senior dues!
· Please bring in peanut butter – any kind – to contribute to the annual Knox County PTA peanut butter drive for Second harvest food bank. You can also bring in money – Mr. Powell has an envelope to collect at the front office.
· High school summer abroad programs available with scholarships to offset the costs. Go to www.ciee.org/high-school-summer-abroad for info.
Quote of the day from Academy Award nominated film The Imitation Game:
Sometimes it is the people who no one imagines anything of who do the things that no one can imagine.
Practice L&N Habits every day: Collaboration, Critical thinking, Design, Innovation, Inquiry, & Professionalism
L&N STEM Academy – TN’s First Apple School of Distinction, 2-time TN Reward School for Performance (2012 – 2014)
9th grade writing assessment schedule:
Wednesday, March 4--1st block (students report directly to testing rooms)
Jones' N1 to Media Center
Cartwright's N1 to Media Center
Cartwright's N2 to 104
Displaced Classes: Webb's N1 to Room 202
Norton's N2 to Room 213
Wednesday, March 4--3rd block (students report directly to testing rooms after Genius Hour)
Norton's N3 to Media Center
Jones' N4 to 104
Displaced Classes: Sera's N3 Digital Music class to Room 213
Wilsey's N4 Astronomy to Room 207
Thursday, March 5--1st block (students report directly to testing rooms)
Jones' L1 to Media Center
Jones' L2 (Last Names: Sutton-Yeatts) to Media Center
Jones' L2 (Last Names: Archer-Spiller) to 10