GRYPHON MISSION BRIEFING
For Monday, March 9, 2015
“N” Day Classes
· What a big weekend for L&N teams of all sorts! Congrats to:
o TSA Team: They competed in the state championships in Murfreesboro – Big kudos to the whole team, but especially to Chloe Armstrong for 2nd place in Desktop publishing, Anna Kate Tenpenny for 1st place in Photographic technology, and team victories with 1st place in music production, 3rd place in Structural design and engineering, 2nd place Debating technology issues, and 3rd place Chapter Team. Extra special congrats to Preston Nicely for being elected to state office as TSA Reporter!
o National History Day participants – we had 50 participants who made a great showing. Award winners were: Noah Smith – Best use of primary sources, Jeremiah Branson, Justin Cross, Noah Dunlap, and Noah Watson – Best project on a topic of East TN History AND 2nd place Group Exhibit, Taylor Flores, Madison Jackson, and Molly Miller – 1st place Group Exhibit, Hannah Kearns, Amanda Peebles, and Emma Talley – 2nd place Group Website, Hyatt Christenberry, Brooke Foster, Sydney Goodman, and Rachel Magers – 2nd place Group Documentary. Way to go!!
o Ultimate Frisbee Team for playing in the finals at the Deep Freeze tournament in Chattanooga
o Scholar’s Bowl team – placed 7th among teams at the Bobcat Challenge in Oak Ridge this weekend. Well done to our young team of Caitlin Hutchinson, Jacob Samar (placed individually at 6th place for points per game out of 40 students), Kishan Tailor, and Isaiah Talford. Good showing team!
· Time to order your AP exams! See the attachment to register for AP exams. Note all registration and payment is due by March 24!
· Freshmen – the last group to take the writing assessment (if you haven’t taken it yet) will take their exams according to the schedule below on Tuesday, March 10 (next Tuesday morning).
· Don’t forget tomorrow is the L&N STEM Medic Blood Drive: Students, parents and teachers, plan to "give the gift of life" and participate in the Medic Blood Drive on Tuesday, March 10th from 9 to 3 in the STEM Space. Students 16 and over are eligible to participate. If you're 16 and 120 lbs you may donate with parental consent. (Please use the form attached or come pick one up from Ms. Ellis in the Media Center.) Seventeen year olds that weigh 110 lbs or more may participate as well and DO NOT need consent. EVERYONE donating blood must have ID with them as well as a list of medications if appropriate. Please encourage your parents to contribute as well during our blood drive. Go here to sign up to donate! If we meet a threshold of donations we will win a $1000 grant to the school – help us!
· Attention juniors and seniors: there's only two weeks to purchase prom tickets. They are $50 for singles, and $90 for couples. The tickets can be purchased during all lunches on Wednesday. You only have until March 6 to buy both your prom ticket and pay your senior dues!
· One day ACT prep workshop – April 11. See attached flyer – registration deadline is April 4.
· High school summer abroad programs available with scholarships to offset the costs. Go to www.ciee.org/high-school-summer-abroad for info.
Quote of the day from Mahatma Gandhi:
There is more to life than increasing its speed.
Practice L&N Habits every day: Collaboration, Critical thinking, Design, Innovation, Inquiry, & Professionalism
L&N STEM Academy – TN’s First Apple School of Distinction, 2-time TN Reward School for Performance (2012 – 2014)
9th grade writing assessment schedule:
Tuesday, March 10--1st block (students report directly to testing rooms)
Jones' L1 to Media Center
Jones' L2 (Last Names: Sutton-Yeatts) to Media Center
Jones' L2 (Last Names: Archer-Spiller) to 104