GRYPHON MISSION BRIEFING
For Friday, March 27, 2015
“L” Day Classes
· Adam Hasan, our school board student representative, is planning on visiting our school next Monday, March 30th. SGA would like to invite any students interested in taking part in an open forum to our Genius Hour. We are in the STEM Space for both 1st and 2nd lunch and then we will eat during third lunch. Please come prepared to participate in an active discussion about Knox County’s education policies.
· Congrats to GryphonTrack and Field! The team competed against 11 teams at Karns Tuesday night and placed 4th overall. Brooke Foster and Dagon Uselton each won the 3,200. Jaylen Foster won the high jump. We had nine new team records: Laura Bretscher 1,600, Jontae Perrin- 100, Mackenzie Nelms- 400, Ethan Baughman- 300 meter hurdles, Michael Waller- Discus, Jaliah Robinson- High Jump, Jaylen Foster- High Jump, Griffin Lewis- Long Jump, Stephanie Johnson- Long Jump
· East TN Maryville College's GSA and PFLAG are hosting this year's annual Diversity Prom! It's in the Alumni Gym of Maryville College on April 18th, 2015 from 6-10 PM. The theme for this year is “Alice In Wonderland”, you can buy tickets from Hope Higginbotham. The cost is $25 dollars per person and $40 for a couple. Email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
· Calling all writers: We are pleased to announce that registration is now open for the 22nd Annual Brian M. Conley Young Writers' Institute. The YWI is planned for Saturday, April 18th, from 10 a.m. until 3 p.m. at the UT-Knoxville campus. The YWI is a free, one-day event that offers creative writing workshops for both high school students and their teachers. We hope you will help us make this year's YWI successful by encouraging your students and fellow teachers to attend. Classes offered include Poetry; Fiction; Screenwriting; Songwriting;Performance Poetry; Journalism; and Blogging. If you are interested, email Ms. Cartwright at email@example.com with your top 3 choices. The last day to register is April 3rd.
· BOSS Big Orange Symposium: This is a chance for students interested in science, technology, engineering and math career fields to experience hands-on scientific research skills. Saturday, April 18, 2015 from 10am - 3pm in the Hodges Library at UTK. Registration closes Wednesday, April 15. http://www.lib.utk.edu/outreach/soil/b-o-s-s/registration/
Lunch will be provided. Parents are encouraged to attend as they also have a parent session with speakers from UT Admissions, Housing, Safety, and more.
· One day ACT prep workshop – April 11. See attached flyer – registration deadline is April 4.
· High school summer abroad programs available with scholarships to offset the costs. Go to www.ciee.org/high-school-summer-abroad for info.
Quote of the day from Robert Schuller:
The only place where your dream becomes impossible is in your own thinking.
Practice L&N Habits every day: Collaboration, Critical thinking, Design, Innovation, Inquiry, & Professionalism
L&N STEM Academy – TN’s First Apple School of Distinction, 2-time TN Reward School for Performance (2012 – 2014)