GRYPHON MISSION BRIEFING
For Wednesday, March 25, 2015
“N” Day Classes
· At lunch stop by and open an account at our student-run branch of the Y-12 Federal Credit Union! The Golden Gryphon branch is there to serve you at lunch at the counter in the Commons. Stop by and ask about the advantages of banking at school!
· If you didn’t pick up your progress report yesterday you can get it at the front desk. Those not picked up will be mailed home.
· As the weather is turning warmer, please take a moment to assess your dressing in the morning. Are you in compliance with dress code?? Remember, no spaghetti straps, no crop tops that don’t meet your pants/skirts (no bare midriff), and if you have anything backless (or lace) or with big openings in the side you need to have something underneath. Best bet is to save those others for the evenings and weekends, please don’t make your teachers and admins have to be fashion police!
· Interested in filming, editing, or public speaking? The WGRY Gryphon TV newscast is looking for new students to join their crew. Students have creative freedom over their stories and we're looking for new ideas and input on the newscast. Roles include anchors, editors, camera crew, and more. Please email Sebastian.firstname.lastname@example.org if you are interested. WGRY meets on Tuesday, and Thursdays during Genius Hour. We do not require members to be present both days. All emails must be received by Thursday 3/26 at 10 AM.
· East TN Maryville College's GSA and PFLAG are hosting this year's annual Diversity Prom! It's in the Alumni Gym of Maryville College on April 18th, 2015 from 6-10 PM. The theme for this year is “Alice In Wonderland”, you can buy tickets from Hope Higginbotham. The cost is $25 dollars per person and $40 for a couple. Email email@example.com for more information.
· Calling all writers: We are pleased to announce that registration is now open for the 22nd Annual Brian M. Conley Young Writers' Institute. The YWI is planned for Saturday, April 18th, from 10 a.m. until 3 p.m. at the UT-Knoxville campus. The YWI is a free, one-day event that offers creative writing workshops for both high school students and their teachers. We hope you will help us make this year's YWI successful by encouraging your students and fellow teachers to attend. Classes offered include Poetry; Fiction; Screenwriting; Songwriting;Performance Poetry; Journalism; and Blogging. If you are interested, email Ms. Cartwright at firstname.lastname@example.org with your top 3 choices. The last day to register is April 3rd.
· BOSS Big Orange Symposium: This is a chance for students interested in science, technology, engineering and math career fields to experience hands-on scientific research skills. Saturday, April 18, 2015 from 10am - 3pm in the Hodges Library at UTK. Registration closes Wednesday, April 15. http://www.lib.utk.edu/outreach/soil/b-o-s-s/registration/
Lunch will be provided. Parents are encouraged to attend as they also have a parent session with speakers from UT Admissions, Housing, Safety, and more.
· One day ACT prep workshop – April 11. See attached flyer – registration deadline is April 4.
· High school summer abroad programs available with scholarships to offset the costs. Go to www.ciee.org/high-school-summer-abroad for info.
Quote of the day from Jonathan Lockwood Huie:
Life expands to fill your dreams.
Practice L&N Habits every day: Collaboration, Critical thinking, Design, Innovation, Inquiry, & Professionalism
L&N STEM Academy – TN’s First Apple School of Distinction, 2-time TN Reward School for Performance (2012 – 2014)