GRYPHON MISSION BRIEFING
For Friday, April 15, 2016 – “N” classes
2015-16 L&N Student Mission – Own it!
· *STEM shirts are now available! This shirt was designed by STEM student Jessica Motto and is available as a short sleeve, long sleeve or hoodie. Long sleeve and hoodie orders will be available for pickup in the beginning of May. (ptsalnstem.weebly.com/fundraiser)
· Good luck to our students headed to the TN Junior Classical League Competition and the National Ethics Bowl this weekend!
· Please remember that SGA's book drive is this week and Monday of next week. We're collecting books of all types to be donated for use by children as well as adults. Help our local communities by donating your gently used books. Drop off your books by the podium in the Commons. Thank you for supporting literacy in our community!
· Accolades keep rolling in for our students – although the season is over, 4 members of our FIRST Robotics team are being sent to St Louis to the World Championship round because we are finalists for the Comcast National Media and Tech Innovation Award! Congrats STEMpunks!
· Be ready to be part of the historic presidential election coming later this year! Voter registration will be held in the Commons during all lunch periods on April 20. Must be 18 on or before August 4, 2016. Bring your social security number and driver’s license to verify your ID.
· Students are encouraged to participate in our first L&N photography contest, sponsored by our very own Golden Gryphon Credit Union, a partner of Y-12 Credit Union.
o Open to all current students.
o Work must be the student’s original photography, however, the photograph may be manipulated anyway the student wishes ie. Photoshop, tinted, b/w, digitally altered, memes etc.
o Image must in some way represent the L&N STEM Academy, including our campus, extended campus, students, faculty, sports, academics, or clubs. Any picture not within our extended campus must have students or faculty in the photo.
o Photos in a series are encouraged and should be submitted as 1 entry.
o High resolution preferred.
o Limit of 10 entries per student.
o Photos become the property of the L&N to use, manipulate, and/or publish for school use.
All photos must be submitted by midnight, April 17th to
o Golden Gryphon Award - $25 Visa Gift Card
o Front Office Award - $20 Starbucks Gift Card
o PTSA Award – $10 Aubrey’s Gift Certicate
o Equality Club Award - $10 iTunes Gift Card (must represent diversity or equality)
o Bookstore Award – “It’s a Gryphon Thing” t-Shirt (must represent student life)
o GGCU/Y-12 Credit Union Awards – 4 Additional $5 gift cards will be awarded
· Missing – 2 Disney pins, one is the Eiffel Tower and the other is Minnie Mouse. If found, please return to the front office, no questions. Thank you!
· This Friday, April 15, is the GLSEN Day of Silence. The Day of Silence brings awareness to anti-LGBTQ+ bullying and harassment. The Equality Club will be handing out stickers with one of two colors, one showing you're speaking and the other showing you're not depending on your preference, to put on your shirt to show your support for the cause Friday morning in the Commons. For more information on the Day of Silence, please go to http://www.dayofsilence.org.
Community & Guidance Ops:
· Representative from UTK will be in Guidance Tuesday, 4/19/16 at 12:20. He can help students who have been admitted and students who want to apply next year.
· What: A week-long opportunity to learn about materials science and materials characterization through hands-on studies provided by CNS Y-12 National Security Complex, The University of Tennessee, Knoxville, and Oak Ridge National Lab.
When: June 6-10, 2016
Time: Monday-Thursday, 9 am-4 pm and Friday, 9 am-12 noon
Where: The University of Tennessee Knoxville.
Cost: FREE Class size limited to 20 students.
Theme: Whodunit? Forensics in Materials and Engineering.
Register: Registration required. Deadline is May 2, 2016. To get registration form, visit us on the web at http://www.engr.utk.edu/mse/
Questions: Dr. Claudia Rawn, email@example.com or Elizabeth Ferguson, firstname.lastname@example.org or 865-974-9245
· Reminder that those who registered for AP exams you must complete an off-campus permission form for taking the exam. See your AP teacher or counselor for info.
Quote of the day from Flora Whittemore:
The doors we open and close each day decide the lives we live.
Practice L&N Habits every day: Collaboration, Critical thinking, Design, Innovation, Inquiry, & Professionalism
L&N STEM Academy – TN’s First Apple School of Distinction, 2-time TN Reward School for Performance (2012 – 2015)