GRYPHON MISSION BRIEFING
For Tuesday, April 5, 2016 – “L” classes
2015-16 L&N Student Mission – Own it!
· All students – here’s your chance to help out STEM 3 class groups in their latest project. Please take a moment and participate in this survey to give them your thoughts: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/6FWN3CX
· Congratulations to our next year's SGA Executive Board and our Sophomore, Junior, and Senior class officers for next year, as follows:
o EXECUTIVE BOARD
§ SGA President--Emily Bretscher
§ SGA Vice President--Lauren Tenpenny
§ SGA Secretary--Abbey Morgan
§ SGA Treasurer--Laura Bretscher
o Senior Class Officers
§ President--Kishan Tailor
§ Vice President--Jacob Samar
§ Secretary—Julia Pavon
§ Treasurer—Kent Smith
o Junior Class Officers
§ President--Kendyl Nicely
§ Vice President--Christina Varnes
§ Secretary--Brooke Foster
§ Treasurer--Olivia Aylsworth
o Sophomore Class Officers
§ President--Ansley Parker
§ Vice President--Chloe Gibson
§ Secretary--Marcus Lee
§ Treasurer--Rosey White
· Please remember that SGA's book drive is this week and next week. We're collecting books of all types to be donated for use by children as well as adults. Help our local communities by donating your gently used books. Bring your books to the Media Center and leave them in front of the fireplace. (If the Media Center is closed, please drop the books off in the office, and SGA will collect them later.) Thank you for supporting literacy in our community!
· Congratulations to several students for their performance with this year's Knox County Honors Orchestra: Elliott Mills - Violin I; Emma Fox - Violin I; Connor McGinley - Violin II; Chloe Gibson - Violin II; Zachary Medley - Viola; Ben Boney - Cello; Mattie Mills - Principal Bassist! Way to go, Orchestral Gryphons! See pic below.
Community & Guidance Ops:
· The Brian M. Conley Young Writers' Institute is a free day of creative writing classes for high school students and their teachers. Held on the campus of the University of Tennessee, Knoxville and administered by Margaret Lazarus Dean of UT’s English Department, the Institute offers classes in creative writing, this year in fiction and poetry. All classes are taught by experts in their field. Lunch is provided.
The day begins on Saturday, April 9, at the University of Tennessee campus in HSS 71 at 10:15 a.m., when registration opens. Students will take one class in the morning and another in the afternoon. After the second class, everyone returns to room HSS 71 for an open-mic reading, where the students can read from the work they wrote that day, if they’d like to. Our Open Mic usually runs until 3 p.m., at which point the day ends. Students will learn new writing skills, gain confidence in expressing their ideas, and get a taste for academic life at the University of Tennessee.
If you are interested in attending, please respond directly to Mr. Bell by Wednesday, April 6th so that I may confirm your registration. Students are responsible for the own transportation to and from this event.
Quote of the day from Mahatma Gandhi:
Be the change you want to see in the world.
Practice L&N Habits every day: Collaboration, Critical thinking, Design, Innovation, Inquiry, & Professionalism
L&N STEM Academy – TN’s First Apple School of Distinction, 2-time TN Reward School for Performance (2012 – 2015)